So a Cow walks into the Restaurant


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Palolem
November 8th 2008
Published: November 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So now the next step of my journey involves travelling from Himachal Pradesh to Kangra Airport which is about an hours drive from camp. This small airport only has a few flights a day. Myself and Sue took the Kingfisher Flight (Same company that makes the Kingfisher Beer) to Delhi were we were to stay for a couple of night while we waited for Suzannah to meet up with us as she took the Train to Delhi. She was travelling with Inger and Anna as well so she had company on the way too. Both girls were on their way back home and we were all to stay in the same hotel and have our last meal toghter before they left.

The flight was fantastic as we flew over the Himalayian Mountains which you could see for miles, the snow and clear blue skies made it look amazing and every so often there was an Mountain range that was so high it took our breath away. Once we arrived in Delhi we were both picked up by one of the guys from our Hotel and in true Delhi fashion put our lives in the hand of another crazy driver. After a few near misses we arrived at the hotel.

The next morning we finally met with Suzannah and spent the day shopping. This was after about an hour of trying to get to the Shopping complx we all wanted as like most tourist we were taken to the Tuk-Tuk driver Uncles Shop. This after a couple of attempts started to get annoying. We finally arrived at the right destination and found a great place to cool down with a beer. The rest of the afternoon was spent looking around the shops all of which were about half the price of London.

Before our journey back to the hotel we spotted an underground market so it would have been rude not to have a look. This proved to be a great deal of fun as we were having a great deal of banter with the market sellers and laughting so much when they were trying to sell us items that (1) We did'nt want (2) Did'nt need (3) Did'nt like. All of which were grossly over price too. So after cutting the price down to nothing we still walked away as we did'nt want the item anyway.

Tonight was the last night the group of us would be together, so we all went for a meal just down the road from our hotel. This was the only restaurant we had found that was also used by other travellers, as this part of town we had never really seen any other westerners. The mood on the table got more and moree silly and by the end of the night we had turn the restaurant into more of a disco (OK just the 5 of us dancing)

The next morning after an early breakfast it was time of Sue, Suzannah and myself to take the taxi to Dehli Domestic Airport and off to Goa. 2 1/2 hours later we arrived onto a small airport, compared to most. We had arrange for a taxi to meet us from here and take us to the accomadation we had booked on the internet. The drive to Palolem was far better than any of the drives we had taken other the last few weeks, the roads were roads and not gravel pits with massive graters. It took us just other an hour and a half to reach the bar to the accomadation to which we had booked. After a much needed beer we were shown to our horror what I could only discribe as a Garden Shed in the middle of a council tip. With each of us looking at each other for comfort we went for a walk on the beach to find something to eat and figure out what we were going to do. After some lunch and not much talking we came across the Palolem Beach Resort with nice grounds and rooms with showers, TV and a real bed. All this at the same price we were being charged at the other tip. All we needed to do now was to move our stuff from there to here. It was then agreed that I would tell them that we were leaving and as we had not paid we were just leaving. So like escaping from prison we all quickly got our bags and left never to return. Five minutes later and a whole lot happier we were all unpacked and ready to stay in this beautiful part of South Goa.

The weather for the first few days was hot during the day and an amazing thunder storm about 4 in the afternnon for about 2o minutes then perfect to see the great sunsets that I have become very fond off in the past few months. as you can tell there are more pictures and I never can get bored of taken pictures of them too.

Palolem has a long white sand beach with palm trees and accomadation mainly on the beach consisting of beach huts made from anything from Woodchip boards or from palm leaves woven together. The price can be very different too. Ranging from about 400 rupees to 2500. There is two main streets to the town, one runs to the beach and one off this. These roads are filled with many shop selling everything from clothes, Indian Gods, beads, CD's and drinks and sweets. There are also many good Restaurants here too were you can eat from Indain to Tex Mex and everything in between.

So a Cow walks into the Restaurant

One of our favourate Restaurants to eat in during the evening is Little Itay which special is the fresh fish that is displayed every night outside the restaurant. The 3 of us stand there for ages picking out the Lobster, Crab, Red Snapper, King Fish, Rock Fish or Giant Tiger Prawns we are going to try that night.
Over the past few weeks we have become very friendly with all the staff in this restaurant and are now even getting most of our drinks free during the evening. Well I say free but we do make up for it in the size of the tip we leave for the guys.

A Little bit about Old Goa

This ancient historical former capital of Goa is located about 9 km east of Panaji. It is a UNESCO world heritage site now and is famed for its opulent buildings and churches reminiscent of the glory days of "Golden Goa". It was abandoned by the Portuguese officially in 1843 when the capital was moved to Panjim or Panaji.

Today, most of the remaining buildings are maintained by the archeological survey of India and the Archdiocese of Goa. It is a holy site for all Goans particularly Goan Christians because it is the site where the Sacred relics of St Francis Xavier or "Goencho Saib" are preserved for posterity.

As Ela ,it used to be the capital of Goa under Adil Shah. He wanted to shift his capital from Bijapur to Ela, but the arrival of the Portuguese changed all that. Under the Portuguese the city not only became the Capital of Goa but also became famous as the "Lisbon of the East" . At one time its population was estimated to be around 200,000. The decline of Portuguese influence in trade saw the decline of the city. Soon after, repeated attacks of cholera and malaria frustrated the Portuguese authorities. The Viceroy moved out of the city in 1695 to Panelim and finally to Panjim in 1759. The capital was also moved to Panaji officially in 1843. With the departure of the Viceroy and the coincidental expulsion of the Jesuits, the population fell drastically to under a few thousand. Over the next 100 years, the buildings were allowed to fall in ruins and today only a few are in excellent shape. A description of its churches and buildings is provided in the links below along with a short biography of St Francis Xavier, Goencho Saib.

Goa's history stretches back to the 3rd century BC, when it formed part of the Mauryan Empire. It was later ruled by the Satavahanas of Kolhapur, around two thousand years ago and passed on to the Chalukyas of Badami, who controlled it between 580 to 750. Over the next few centuries Goa was successively ruled by the Silharas, the Kadambas and the Chalukyas of Kalyani, rulers of Deccan India.The Kadambas, a local Hindu dynasty based at Chandrapura, (present day Chandor - Salcete), laid an indelible mark on the course of Goa's pre-colonial history and culture.

In 1312, Goa came under the governance of the Delhi Sultanate. However, the kingdom's grip on the region was weak, and by 1370 they were forced to surrender it to Harihara I of the Vijayanagara empire. The Vijayanagara monarchs held on to the territory until 1469, when it was appropriated by the Bahmani sultans of Gulbarga. After that dynasty crumbled, the area fell to the hands of the Adil Shahis of Bijapur who made Velha Goa their auxiliary capital.

In 1498, Vasco da Gama became the first European to set foot in India through a sea route, landing in Calicut (Kozhikode) in Kerala, followed by an arrival in what is now known as Old Goa. Goa History, then a term referring to the City of Goa on the southern bank of the River Mandovi, was the largest trading center on India's western coast. The Portuguese arrived with the intention of setting up a colony and seizing control of the spice trade from other European powers after traditional land routes to India had been closed by the Ottoman Turks. Later, in 1510, Portuguese admiral Afonso de Albuquerque defeated the ruling Bijapur kings with the help of a local ally, Timayya, leading to the establishment of a permanent settlement in Velha Goa (or Old Goa). The Portuguese intended it to be a colony and a naval base, distinct from the fortified enclaves established elsewhere along India's coasts.

The Portuguese actually arrived in Goa in 1510, under the command of Alfonso de Albuquerque. They had tried to establish a base further south, but were opposed by the Zamorin of Calicut. They faced stiff competition from the Turks, who controlled the trade routes in the Indian Ocean at that time.

Blessed by its natural harbours and wide rivers, Goa was the ideal base for the seafaring Portuguese, who determined to wrestle control of the spice route from the East.Portuguese control was limited to a small area around Old Goa, but by the middle of the 16th Century, it had expanded to include the talukas (provinces) of Bardez and Salcete.

With the imposition of the Inquisition (1560 1812), many of the local residents were forcibly converted to Christianity by missionaries, threatened by punishment or confiscation of land, titles or property. Many converts however retaining parts of their Hindu heritage. To escape the Inquisition and harassment, thousands fled the state, settling down in the neighbouring towns of Mangalore and Karwar in Karnataka, and Savantwadi in Maharashtra. With the arrival of the other European powers in India in the 16th century, most Portuguese possessions were surrounded by the British and the Dutch. Goa soon became Portugal's most important possession in India, and was granted the same civic privileges as Lisbon In 1843 the capital was moved to Panjim from Velha Goa. By mid-18th century the area under occupation had expanded to most of Goa's present day state limits.

After India gained independence from the British in 1947, Portugal refused to accede to India's demand to relinquish their control of its enclave. Resolution 1541 by the United Nations General Assembly in 1960 noted that Goa was non-self-governing and favoured self determination. Finally, on December 12, 1961, the Indian army with 40,000 troops moved in as part of Operation Vijay. Fighting lasted for twenty-six hours before the Portuguese garrison surrendered. Goa, along with Daman and Diu (enclaves lying to the north of Maharashtra), was made into a centrally administered Union Territory on India. India's takeover of Goa is commemorated on December 19 (Liberation Day). The UN Security Council considered a resolution condemning the invasion which was vetoed by the Soviet Union. Most nations later recognized India's action, and Portugal recognized it after the Carnation Revolution in 1974. On May 30, 1987, the Union Territory was split, and Goa was elevated as India's twenty-fifth state, with Daman and Diu remaining Union Territories.








Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 30


Advertisement



18th November 2008

social services....?
thanks! makes me look like I was using my networking skills to the max!!! (which I was!) Reading this at work.....! great memories, am gutted to be here. Miss u and have a fab time on my behalf hun xxx
18th November 2008

glad your still having a great time..........
hi you ol tart, thought by now, you would have been inslaved into the white slave trade by now, cant believe, your still being allowed to run amock, across asia, do these places have no standards, according to the news beer sales have risen by 35% across the sunny climes over te last 6 months, strange that, coz thats about how long youve been travelling..................keep the up dates coming..............love the sunsets, wish i could put some up as my screen saver................until next time take care and miss you..............x
19th November 2008

the cow in the restaurant
I am learning so much about the places you are staying in Geoff,thank you for the geography lessons! Your photographs are colourful,entertaining and fun keep them coming. Where are you going to be at christmas? Purley is still grey!!! No beautiful sunsets here. take care Love Angela.xxxx

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb