So now come worship the Lobster God !!!!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Patnem
November 18th 2008
Published: November 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So after about a week in the resort of Palolem it was time for Suzannah to to end her year long journey around the world and had back to the Grey & Wet Country otherwise known as Home in the UK. So after 6 weeks together we were now just two, myself and Sue. We had already descided that we would move on from this quiet beach onto an even quieter one about 2 km away. So on Monday morning it was time to pack the rucksack again and move onwards. Mind you I'm now getting a dab hand at the art of packing or is it that I now have another small ruck sack too?

So after a quick Taxi ride we both arrive at our new home for the next couple of weeks. Patnam is even more beautiful that Palolem with a less people, smaller beach, less shops, no beach hawkers selling everything you never want and nicer Bars and Restaurants. Papayas is the name of these beach huts with a great Restaurant & Bar and the rooms are fantastic. Look at the website and see for yourselves www.papayasgoa.com. Lesley and his guys Michael, Stanley and Kevin made the both of us feel really at home her and after a couple of days we were even behind the bar getting our own drinks as and when we wanted them and the food was even better than the town before. Papayas is only among about 15 beach front accomadation and Restaurant units along the beach and is also on my mind the best too. Every year these rooms and Restaurants are taken down by about May before the monsoons and rebuilt for the new season in November.

Most of our days were spent lying on the sunbeds and swimming in the warm seas. One afternoon both Sue and myself were eating lunch when we both got chatting to a honeymoon couple from Switzerland. Fabien and Cornelia are on a 8 months trip around Asia, they were both looking for new accomadation in Patnam as "Home" which they are staing in need the rooms for a Wedding at the weekend. So after introducing them to Lesley they were set to move other to papayas on the Saturday.

Over the next couple of weeks all four of us spend alot of time chatting and lazing on the beach. We even rent a couple of Mopeds and Fabien, Cornelia and me even travel around and visit some Temples in the area and then to the Turtle Nesting Site in Galgibaga were the Olive Ridley marine turtle comes to nest Local government authorities and small NGO organizations in the area have identified the three main beaches in the Goa vicinity where Olive Ridley marine turtle comes to nest and have committed themselves to ensuring that these areas are protected from disturbance or harm. From September to March (the turtles' nesting season) workers and volunteers guard these beaches, identifying and protecting the areas where turtles have laid their eggs, removing plastic or other hazardous material, blocking off artificial sunlight, and even shielding the new born baby turtles from predators as they march back into the sea.

The local authorities also work closely with the surrounding community to promote awareness about the turtles' struggle and inform the public on ways they can help improve the situation. The organizations that are attempting to run a well organized and effective campaign are in great need of additional help, and they need volunteers who are willing and enthusiastic to work on the beach and in
Fresh Bananas growing in the resorts gardenFresh Bananas growing in the resorts gardenFresh Bananas growing in the resorts garden

We picked these when ever we wanted one
the local community.

Marine turtles are among the most threatened animals in the World. These turtles are innately a fragile species and face many natural risks - only around 1 in 1,000 turtles born, grow to adulthood. After tourism and commercial development has infiltrated these sensitive turtle's nesting grounds, additional man-made obstacles have been placed in the way of the species' survival. It is well reported that marine turtles are declining everywhere in Asia, but in Goa, especially, this decline is rapid. One nesting site has reduced from 35 annual turtle nests to only 7 in just the past decade.

Whilst we were here there was not a soul in sight and the views were awesome too. So after a quick swim it was time to make our way back to Patnam through the quiet back roads and fantstic backwaters of South Goa.

What happens when you leave Geoff out in the sun all day ????

So after many days in the Sun spreading the Sun Creams on I was hoping to be that Golden Brown colour that my father and Uncle have achieved whilst on the Holidays in Goa. But no, what colour does Geoff go. Yes you guessed it RED and not only RED but LOBSTER RED. The colour every British tourist goes when in Spain. So I am now know by the rest of our group as the "Lobster God" which is not a bad title to have. The only good thing is that after a few days the colour has now become a nice Golden Colour but after every day back in the sun the Red does come back for the evening.

I want you to treat Papayas just like home

During the week I got a email from Nicola from the Camp in South Africa to say that she was in goa on a project teaching and would like to come down and visit me for the weekend. So I arranged that she would come down from Colva about an hour away on the Saturday morning.

We were made to feel really welcome here and there was nothing that the guys here would not do to ensure our stay was all that we wanted. So on Saturday morning the three of us got back on the mopeds and went into the nearest town of Chaudi to visit the Fish market, whislt Sue waited for Nicola to arrive. During to next hour we brought Red Snapper and the biggest Tiger Prawns any of us had every seen. We then crossed the street and went to the Fruit & Vegetable Market were the fresh Herbs and Spice aromas and colours and the fresh foods were everything that I could have imagined.

Once back Lesley arranged that, that evening his staff would BBQ all our purchases for us. He had also arranged that he would get Sari's for all the girls to wear for dinner. What he did'nt tell us was that he also got them for Fabien and me too.

Nicola arrived and we spent the day by the beach enjoying the delights of the Sun, Sea and Sand. In the evening we all went to Lesley's house at the back of the resort were we all dressed up ready for dinner. When we arrived into the restaurant our table was on the beach with the great views and the BBQ ready cooking all our purchases from the morning shopping trip. During the evening we set up my camara onto the tripod that I brought in South Africa and had loads of fun with the remote control.

As a farewell present to Sue, who was going home after 2 months in the morning I had some t-shirts made for the 4 of us wuth a Lobster on the front and "I worship the Lobster God" on the back.

And then there was one

After a great 2 months together it was time to say goodbye to a really good friend I had made, along with Suzannah during my stay in India. Sue left Goa on the Sunday and my plan is to be in Goa for another 4 weeks. The good thing for the moment is that Fabien & Cornelia will be here too.





Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Fishermen on Patman BeachFishermen on Patman Beach
Fishermen on Patman Beach

About 20 metres from the shore. We watched these guys pull in the nets.
Temple buildingTemple building
Temple building

This building was over 200 hundred years old and was the oldest part of the Temple


24th November 2008

worship the lobster god!!
Well Geoff they say cleanliness is close to godliness but in your case I would say redness is.,you look the most relaxed and at ease with yourself which can only be good.Still loving the photos and the little anecdotes that go with them. Hope all is well with you and your not alone for too long take care from the cold frosty dark dull miserable country known to you as Home!!!! Love Angela.xxxx
24th November 2008

OMG
OMG THERES A NEW LOBSTER KING...GREAT TO SEE YOU LOOKING SO WELL AND RELAXED FOR ONCE,IT LOOKS AS IF YOU ARE HAVING A GREAT TIME AND MAKING LOADS OF NEW FRIENDS GOOD ON YOU HHUN BUT MISSING YOU LOADS XX
25th November 2008

Hi Hon.
Im sure red is a good colour on you! Lol. Where are the pictures of the Lobster God??? So glad this trip is going so well for you. Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy! Its pants here. You are missed. Take care. Love Carol.XXX

Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb