My visit to Palolem, Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Palolem
October 15th 2008
Published: October 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took the GoAir flight to Dabolim near Vasco, the only airport in Goa. The flight took about an hour before it reached the destination. I had already had a talk with Gaurav, the owner of Om Sai Palolem Guest house . Gaurav ensured us that we will get the best and the cheapest ply to Palolem, and so it turned out.

We were received by a driver who brought an Innova, lush and spacious. Tblack color Innova was just the kind of vehicle you need to rest in when you are off for a journey of about 1.5 hours (65kms. approx.). I just checked out the AXIS bank ATM on the airport to withdraw some cash for meeting the expenditures. Me and my wife then latched back in the Innova and were soon greet by a lot of greenery, cool air and some swift driving on the part of our river. The guy drove fast but safe. We reached Vasco and then Margao. All along the way, we were mesmerized to see the greenery of Goa. All kinds of trees with bunches of palm tree platations on either side of the road. The sightings were beautiful.

It was difficult to realize that we were in a warm coastal region, the temperature was just 31 degrees and it was mid-day. The goan houses built amongst huge palm plantations over and under the hilly landscape were a treat for our eyes. We reached Margao in no time. The road till this time was more or less even. Margao is a typical Indian town, with side to side shops and offices. Though the outskirt regions were lush green but nothing to write home about the place. We also saw a church there, though can't remember the name.

From Margao, it was all a hilly terrain. The road meandered in the mountains curving all the times. THe driver never slowed down, expect on some rough patches. Generally the roads in Goa are in a very good condition, unlike the ones in other Indian states. The Sahayadri mountains had a cloud cover with soaked their tops wet. It was a beautiful view. THe upturns and downturns continued and we all of a sudden reached Canacona, the nearest railhead to Palolem. We knew, Palolem was set to arrive. Just while I was thinking this and communicating it to Asmita (my wife), the driver stopped. I asked why, he said that we have reached. OMG no sea?? No fish smell? Nothing. In fact the sea was just a 100 meters away from the guest house on a right turn. But it turned out to be a boon as I would blog in the next series. Wait and watch.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb