Crazy Auto-rickshaws


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad
April 5th 2005
Published: April 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

If you've never seen one, auto-rickshaws are a bizarre 3-wheeled scooter enclosed in a rickshaw cabin. They're all around India and provide a cheap means of whizzing through traffic. They also provide some of the greatest action-adventure you can have in this country.

You see, I suspect that driving school was one school these guys avoided. Instead of slowing down when there is a slow car in front, auto-rickshaws instead accelerate extra hard and then swerve at the last second to avoid the car, giving little attention to whether traffic exists in the adjacent lane.

Another driving technique is to squeeze that horn. Car in your way - no problem, just keep beeping that horn and hope he gets out of the way. Don't slow down or anything in case the car decided to not get out of the way. Instead, use that swerving action we all love.

Roundabouts are always fun. Here the tactic is clear and simple. CHARGE!! Its a riotous free-for-all. First-in-first-out, so just driving on into that crazy pack, dodge and swerve between all the cars, and hopefully you'll get through.

Oh yes, and if all the lanes in your side of the road are in us, just squish in between the lanes. Thus 3 lanes becomes 10 lanes. Still not enough space after forming 10 lanes - then drive on the pavement, or better still drive on the other side of the road.

Definately an experience not to be missed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb