Jasmine Flowers


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad
March 2nd 2007
Published: March 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Sheryl,
Sweetie, the lady who is hosting our stay, surprised us the other day with a gift of jasmine flowers. Jasmine are little cream colored flowers are extremely fragrant. The little individual flowers are tied into a garland that we could wear in our hair. I tied the garland around my ponytail. The Telegu word for "flowers" is pronounced "poo-vah-loo."

This is the season when the jasmine flower harvest begins. Perfume makers use the extract of the flowers to make perfume. Extract is also used to scent candles and soap. It takes 25 million flowers to produce a pound of extract. Jasmine is grown on bushes in big fields. Workers carefully pick the tiny flowers and put them in a basket that they carry. To make extract they truck the flowers to a factory on the farm where they heat and press the flowers to draw out the essential oils.

In the flower market some people buy large baskets of flowers to make garlands. They take the tiny individual flowers and tie them together with fine thread to form a long rope of flowers. Sometimes they add different kinds and different colored flowers to enhance the look of the arrangement. These long ropes are then sold by vendors on the street. They simply cut off whatever length the customer wants to buy. Some ladies buy small quantities of bulk flowers to make their own garlands. They share this fun craft with their children,

Here it is very popular for the women to wear flowers in their hair. Because it is very hot, most women wear their hair pulled back in a braid. Girls frequently were two braids. A short length of jasmine garland is cut off and pinned in their braid. Then they smell fresh and beautiful, like the jasmine flower, every where they go. The cut flowers only last for a day before they wilt in the heat and loose their fragrance.

Jasmine is also used in large ceremonial garlands used to honor guests and celebrate special occasions. When we first arrived at the orphanage, we were greeted by all the children and given huge heavy cold fragrant garlands to wear around our neck while we said hello and shared hugs. This was very special because we arrived from the train station to the house at 8:00 at night. It was very dark and hot outside. The driver left the car lights on so everyone could see. The garlands felt cool and smelled of rich perfume. They were very refreshing and the scent added to the festive ambience we all enjoyed.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb