Every Shopper’s Delight! 5 Souvenirs to Pick-up from Hyderabad


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad
December 19th 2017
Published: December 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The ‘Land of the Nizams’, Hyderabad owes its cultural, historical and gastronomical wealth to its erstwhile rulers. What makes the city stand out is the fact that it has retained its old-world charms. The city is seething with markets and food havens. Hyderabad is, undoubtedly, a paradise for food lovers. From the mouthwatering Hyderabadi Biryani, Mirchi ka Salan and Dum Pukht to appetizing snacks like Keema Samosa, Lukhmi and Boti Kabab, this city will appease the most discerning of gourmands. That’s not all, Hyderabad is one of the best places in India for cheap street shopping. With its old, colourful and bustling bazaars, the city promises an amazing shopping experience. From local crafts, jewellery and textiles, to clothes and books, these markets have something for everyone.

Here are some of our most favourite things to pick up from the buzzing markets of Hyderabad:

Lac Bangles

Lac bangles are, pieces of jewellery adorned with precious and semi-precious stones. Customarily worn by the women of royal households, these bangles can be bought from the famous Lad Bazaar of Hyderabad. The market also houses workshops where you can witness the making of these bangles, which are distinct in glimmering shine and unique designs. These bangles are most popularly worn for weddings and other social functions and if you want to add them to your wardrobe, you can book cheap New Delhi to Hyderabad flights via ixigo and shop to your heart’s content.

Sweet and Spicy Delights

Osmania Biscuits and Fruit Cookies are utterly, butterly delicious in taste and make great gifts for your friends and family. No one would blame you if you sneak some off for yourself, as it is almost impossible to resist these delights straight from the kitchen of Karachi Bakery. You can also get a box or two of Pulla Reddy Paper Sweet, a Hyderabadi specialty. Made of layers of the paper thin rice sheets with a filling of coconut and jaggery or coconut and sugar, both are equally enticing.

Nizami Pearls

History books have always told us that Hyderabad has the best pearls to offer in all the Indian subcontinent. If you walk around the winding lanes around the Charminar or the area around Char Kaman, you will come across many pearl shops, where you can buy some for yourself. The price range starts with Rs. 100 and can go upto a few lakhs, so keep your credit cards at hand.

Traditional Dresses

Whichever place you visit in India, the local wear is always a favourite purchase. In Hyderabad, Pochampally Saree, made of either cotton or silk, is worth adding to your collection. You can pick up authentic Kalamkari prints on sarees and salwars, this print is also famous in paintings.

Gongura Pickle

Not many know what Gongura actually is. Well, it is a green leaf used as a souring agent in the Telangana/Andhra region and a specialty dal made with it, is simply sumptuous. The Gongura Pickle is equally tempting and can be bought from any grocery store in Hyderabad to savour with any meal back home.

So, what would be on your list of things to buy from Hyderabad?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb