JYOTIRLINGA TOUR OF AN OLD COUPLE (4)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad » New Santoshnagar
September 30th 2009
Published: September 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

JYOTIRLINGA TOUR OF AN OLD COUPLE (4)

7-7-2009 - TUESDAY.

By God’s grace the visit to Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga Mandir and worshipping of Lord Shiva as Bhimashankara Jyotirlingam is over yesterday. Today, I leisurely got up at 6 a.m and after morning rituals, went to the small Mandir built by the Resort near Helipad and spent an hour performing my daily puja. After breakfast in the Restaurant attached to the Resort, we started our onward journey at 9-35 a.m. to proceed to Nashik for overnight stay and for having the darshan of Triambakeswar Jyotirlingam. I have earlier visited this temple and also leisurely performed Abhishekam to Triambakeswar Jyotirlingam after reciting Mahanyasam. I also climbed the Brahmagiri and visited the birth place of River Godavari. The Triambakeswar temple is at a distance of 231 km from Bhimashankar and we reached the place by 4-00 p.m.

Barricades were put up by Police Authorities one km before the temple for security reasons and it is stated that all pilgrims have to go by walk only to the temple. Only VIPs are allowed to travel in their cars upto the temple. But I have seen many cars and tourist buses near the temple. When I approached the Security Guards, they refused to allow my car to proceed to the temple and directed me to park the car in the Parking Area nearby and proceed to the temple by walk. So I proceeded to the Parking Area and tried to go into a lane that leads to the temple. The Parking Attendant stated that there was also a barricade and if I paid Rs.100 he will take me in car to the temple gate. When I started bargaining, the Attendant stated that he had to part with Rs.50 to others for allowing the car to proceed and he gets only Rs.50. So, I agreed to pay him Rs.100 to take me in car upto the temple gate. He then approached the Security Guards for allowing the car to proceed; but they refused to allow the car stating that their Boss is there supervising the security arrangements. Then the Attendant took me to the outskirts of the town from where there is a service road directly leading to the area behind the temple. There I parked the car and proceeded to the temple main gage which is only at a distance of 50 yards.

As this day happens to be auspicious GURU PURN IMA DAY, there were many pilgrims visiting the temple and the serpentine queue is upto the main gate. Seeing our inability in walking, the Security Guard at the main gate took us inside the temple without standing in the queue. By God’s grace, we had the darshan of Triambakeswar Jyotirlingam in pradosha period on this auspicious day of GURU PURNIMA. I realised that a disability is also a blessing sometimes. In the normal course, it would have taken not less than one and half hours to have the darshan standing in the queue on this day as there were many pilgrims on account of Guru Purnima.

HISTORY OF TRIAMBAKESWAR JYOTIRLINGA TEMPLE

Triambakeswar is one of the famous twelve Jyotirlingas. The extraordinary feature of this Jyotirlinga is its three faces embodying Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Rudra. Owing to excessive use of water and abhishekams since times immemorial, the Jyotirlinga has started to erode and it is said that this erosion symbolizes the eroding nature of human society. Water oozes out of Jyotirlingam said to be the water from the River Godavari. After Abhishekam, this Jyotirlingam is covered by a jewelled crown which is placed over the Gold Mask of Tridev - Brahma, Vishnu and Maheswar. This crown is said to be from the age of Pandavas in Dwapara Yuga and consists of diamonds, emeralds and many precious stones. This crown is displayed every Monday between 4 and 5 p.m. All other Jyotirligas have Lord Shiva as main deity; but Triambakeswar Jyotirlinga represents Trimurtis i.e., Brahma, Vishnu and Maheswar. The temple is on the foothills of mountain Brahmagiri, which is the origin source of famous River Godavari.

It is a well known story that Sage Gautama brought Ganges in the form of Godavari River by worshipping Lord Shiva to set himself free from Go-hatya which was created by other jealous sages. The efforts of Sage Gautama resulted in eradicating the famine in South India on account of cultivation of agricultural produce with the waters of Godavari. The place is famous for lots of religious rituals, pitru tarpanas, etc. The place is known for its scenic beauty in monsoon season and is surrounded by lush green hills untouched by pollution. A famous mountain known as ANJANERI MOUNTAIN, said to be the birth place of Lord Hanuman, is at a distance of 7 k.m. from Triambakeswar. Nasik-Triambakeswar is also famous for KUMBHA MELA once in twelve years.

History also reveals that the Shiva Idol of Triambakeswar consisted of the world famous Nassak Diamond which was appropriated by the British in the Third Anglo-Maratha War and is in the possession of one owner or the other ever since. The diamond presently appears to be in the possession of one Edward J. Hand, a trucking firm executive from Greenwich, Connecticut, USA.




TRIAMBAKESHWAR MAHADEV IN ALANKARAM





TRIAMBAKESWARA TEMPLE













JYOTIRLINGA TEMPLE - TRIAMBAKESWAR.

Having darshan of Triambakeswar to the heart’s contentment on the Guru Purnima Day, we came to Nashik Road town which is 36 km and proceeded to Muktidham where we stayed in our earlier trip to Nashik. Later on I learnt the Dharmashala under the management of Shri Gajanan Maharaj Trust provides excellent accommodation to pilgrims to Triambakeswar (Rooms with attached bath rooms, etc.). The accommodation in Muktidham in Nashik Road Town is not maintained properly, at present (Rs.250 for a room with two beds). The rooms are not clean and the furniture is also in a very bad shape. As we required the room only for the night, I have not bothered to search for another accommodation. With today’s journey we have completed pilgrimage of 1000 k.m. Actually we have covered 1130 km till now. As we have earlier seen all important places in Nashik, I have decided to proceed to Omkareshwar next day early morning.

8th July, 2009 -- WEDNESDAY
When I woke up at 4-30 a.m. it is raining heavily. As we have to cover more than 400 km to reach Omkareswar, I decided to start early even though it is raining heavily. Having finished the morning rituals early, we started at 7-15 a.m. from Muktidham, Nashik Road and proceeded on N.H.3 (Bombay-Agra Road). By 9-00 a.m. the rain stopped and we had a break for breakfast at 10 a.m. in Ekta Hotel on the National High Way. The Hotel is very neat and we packed puris for the lunch on the way. We have travelled via Dhule (not entered the town). Nardana Town, Saindhwa in Madhya Pradesh., There was very heavy traffic on this National High Way and by 1-30 p.m. we could cover only 260 k.m ( 6 hours). We stopped for taking lunch, puris packed from the Hotel. There is a ghat road between Sirpur and Saindhwa and the lorry traffic was very heavy on this road. Near Jhulwania town on N.H.3, we have to proceed on right side to Omkareswar via Khargaon and Sonavad. Though it is a single road, the road is very nice compared to the National Highway. We reached Omkareswar by 6 pm covering a distance of 415 km from Nashik Road.

On the outskirts of Omkareshwar town a pujari by name Shri Shailendra met us and stated that he is the brother of Main Pujari in the temple and he will arrange for darshan and Abhishekam of Omkareshwar Jyotirlingam. When enquired about accommodation, he stated that Bhakti Nivas maintained by Gajanan Trust has excellent rooms and we can have comfortable stay there and took us to that place. He stated that he will come next day morning by 7 a.m. to take us to the temple. The Bhakti Nivas maintained by Gajanan Trust is very neat and had excellent rooms for pilgrims. A restaurant is also maintained and food and breakfast is available at reasonable rates. Each room has not less than 4 beds and the premises and the rooms are very neat and very well maintained. There is 24 hour security in the premises. Another feature is that they don’t allow any brokers or touts into the premises and talking to them outside the gate also is prohibited. There is lot of space for parking of the cars and a small temple for Yogi Gajanan Maharaj is also there in the premises. The charges are Rs.300 per double occupation. The atmosphere is very serene and one can relax here for a week in the service of Omkareswar and Mamaleswar and worshipping the Jyotirlingam and taking bath in the holy waters of Narmada.

Just behind Bhakti Nivas is situated the temple of Mamaleswar Jyotirling and nearby a bridge over Narmada River connecting the temple of Omkareswar Jyotirlingam. Mamaleswar and Omkareswar said to constitute one Jyotirlingam though they are two different temples on either side of River Narmada. But on this route we have to climb many steps to reach Omkareswar temple. There is another bridge about half km away from where the steps to the temple are less. Omkareswar is a small town on the banks of River Narmada. There is a small island in the River with a length and breadth of 2 km. The temple of Omkaresvar is situated on the edge of this island.

HISTORY AND FACTS ABOUT OMKARESWAR JYOTIRLINGAM

The island comprises two lofty hills and is divided by a valley in such a way that it appears in the shape of the sacred Hindu symbol ‘Om’ from above. Between the precipitous hills of the Vindhya on the North and the Satpura on the South, the Narmada forms a deep silent pool which in former times was full of alligators and fish, so tame as to take grain from human hand. This pool is 270 feet below one cantilever type of bridge constructed in 1979. The bridge has enhanced the scenic beauty of the place, making it look exceedingly picturesque. This made the place famous as a tourist attraction also.

In ancient times, Govinda Bhagavatpada, the preceptor of Shri Adi Sankaracharya, lived in a cave on this island. Adi Sankaracharya visited this place and took Mantropadesam from Govinda Bhagavatpada. It is said that during his visit when the River Narmada is in floods, Adi Sankaracharya took the flood water in his Kamandalam and saved the other residents being washed away in floods. In the 11th century the armies of the Muslim invader Mohammed of Ghazini damaged the shrine of Omkareshwar. Despite that, today several temples flourish on this small island.

Gods of all the Gods Lord Shiva’s Omkareshwar Lingam is situated on the mountain known as MANDHATA. The Shiv Purana speaks of the greatness of Omkareshwar and Mammaleshwar. The two sons of the Sun Dynasty Mandhata (Ambarish and Muchukund), practiced severe penance and austerities here and pleased Lord Shiva. They had also performed great religious sacrifices and because of this the mountain is named as MANDHATA. The Omkareshwar lingam is not affixed to the ground, but is naturally installed there. There is always water around the Lingam. The Abhishekam water directly goes into the River Narmada. It is said that there is a hole near the Lingam and if you put a rupee coin that it directly goes into the River. Amongst the twelve Jyotirlingas, Omkareshwar is undoubtedly considered as most auspicious; but another name which often associated in this context is Mammaleshwar. The existence of these two are also thoroughly different. The temple of Mammaleshwar is situated south of the River Narmada, but both the forms of Shiva have been counted as one. It is said that once upon a time Mountain Vindhya practised severe penances and worshipped Lord Shiva as Parthiva Lingam (Lingam made of earth) along with Lord Omkareshwar, for nearly six months. As a result Lord Shiva was pleased and blessed him with the desired boons. On the sincere request of all the Gods and the Sages, Lord Shiva made two parts of the linga. In one he resided as Pranav or Omkar and assumed the form of Omkareshwar and Bhagwan Sadashiva, Parameshwar, Amareshwar or Amaleshwar assumed the form from the Parthiva Lingam. Even today Parthiva Lingams are made out of earth collected from the Narmada River and worshipped in the Mammaleshwar temple.


ICON OF OMKARESHWAR JYOTIRLINGAM


NARMADA RIVER IN OMKARESHWAR.

( I have witnessed such Parthiva Lingarchana in Mammaleshwar temple which prompted me in performing Sahasra Parthiva Lingarchana at my home on return from my thirtha yatras.)
OM TAT SAT

RAGHAVARAO U.V.G.V. DUGGIRALA
HYDERABAD, Dt.23rd AUGUST, 2009.


Advertisement



28th December 2009

I would like to send my parents to the jyothirlinga tour
so pls contact me on 9543938754
29th December 2009

Jyotirlinga tour
Dear Shri Chandraprakash -- It is glad that you intend to send your parents to Jyotirlinga Tour. My contact number is 9440879397.
10th May 2010

need a cheap room
required a cheap hotel upto 400 for 27-5-2010 to 28-05-2010 till 4.00pm my contact 09229265303

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb