Hyderabad Blues - March 2012


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andhra Pradesh » Hyderabad » Banjara Hills
April 14th 2012
Published: September 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our First Family HolidayOur First Family HolidayOur First Family Holiday

In flight from Mumbai to Hyderabad
Hyderabad Blues

A family Holiday after almost 2 years!!It was due ..rather overdue!Last time we went out on a holiday was in September 2009 to Pittsburgh,USA.Then Nam got pregnant,Sai was born in October 2010 and all the time till end of 2011 went in seeing her grow to 1 year. Somewhere at the start of 2012, we felt that now Sai is grown enough to take her out and thats how the idea of holiday started taking shape.Initially the thought was to visit Andaman & Nocobar Islands but then on 2nd thoughts, we felt its too adventurors considering that we have not see how Sai will cope with air travel & staying in hotel etc.Hence we revisted our choice. From office, I ensured that all things are in place and consciously selected 3rd week of March which gives me 2 weeks to address office issues before quarter close is upon us in office.March 12-16 I took the week off and our holiday materialised.

Alternate destination that we choose was Hyderabad. Main driver was Ramoji Film City.My sis and her fly have been there a few times and we have heard all the good things abt that place so we didnot spent too much time in zeroing on Hyderabad.We were travelling with Sai for the first time so preparation were a little different this time. First thing which I did was to book a decent family hotel with all necessary facilities,good hygiene and good food from Sai's standpoint. Basis our experience in Mumbai, Sarovar Hotel Group came to my mind. I inquiries and was able to confirm bookings in one of 3 hotels in Central Hyderabad, called "Aditya Park - Sarovar Hotels, located in area called "Ameer Path".Airline booking was basis best fare and we found the best deal on Indigo. So logistics were set.We paid attention to prepare the bags for us with Sai in mind over the previous weekend and on Monday March 12th, we were ready to take off.

Flight was at 3.20 pm in evening. Again consciously selected early evening consiering Sai's morning schedule. Idea was travel easy w/o any rush.We hired Meru from Home.Dropped Aai at Saujanya and reached airport in time. Boarding was in progress but we were not the last one in the queue. We were excited, we thought Sai was too, looking at those big plane structures from such a close distance.One thing that we were always anxious was around Sai's airsickness.Once inside, there was a bit of confusion on seating with a co passenger but it was sorted out soon and we were on our way. Sai to our surprise reacted positively.Till we got down,she only cried when we were descenting when there were a few jolts. I guess she was freightened.Good that it was just a 1 hour journey.

Hyderabad airport is rated as one of the top 5 globally and we witnessed why. Its not as big as Heathrow or Atlanta but within its size, they have given truly world class structure and facilities for travellers. The hotel pick up chauffaur greeted us at the entrace and after picking our luggage,we were straight into Toyota Scorpio - he hotel pick up car which took us the hotel in next 1 hour.First impressions of the city was good, especially the PVN Rao Expressway that connects you staright to central Hyderabad from the airport.Its a elevated highway only to & from airport and is almost 35-40 km long.Once in the city, you can see normal rush of a metro city.Big shopping malls,crowded roads, hawkers.It took us almost close to 1 hour to reach the hotel in Ameer pet.We checked inn and got a room on 5th floor.

That evening we spent we just spent on relaxing.Took a strool in nearby area,tested some local chats and came back in time for dinner.In Hotel as well, we were trying to get familier with all facilities so that Sai would be comfortable.Buffet dinner at night was as expected very good.Very good variety of veg and non veg food, starters,soups & sweet dishes.The Hotel had complimentary Wifi.With IPhone in hand, it helped me stay connected and use it planning on our siteseeing.We slept well for day 1.Next day after a superb breakfast, we got ready & left for our day 1 of Hyderabadwas Salerganj Museum,Charminar, Chaumala Palace and Lumbini Gardens in the evening.We made inquiries around hiring a taxi but after considering the rates,decided to go by Auto.Easy to hire and easy to get off.Being tourist, I guess auto drivers were able to indentify us and always charged us by fixed rate i/o meter.But it was reasonable.Salerganj museum is nearly 1 hour drive from Ameer Pet.Its a museum which houses all the personal collection of one of the Nizams who ruled the city of Hyderabad for decades before British and then Indian Government took charge.Good facilities I must say, right from cloak room to Storage to maintainance. As a museum, we didnt find it out of the ordinary but the way it was maintained is really notewoorthy.Live upto to its its status as one of city's must visit attractions.One more thing we achieved during that time, is to stay indoor as it was very humid outside in a typical March weather.Post lunch at one of the Museum's restaurants, we moved ahead to Char Minar - The enduring symbol of Hyderabad, of its glorious past.Built again by one of the Nizam's it a a good 15-20 storey structure with four pillars at 4 cornors, made out of creamish stone.Today's ofcourse the area where its located has become very crowded and commercial and its important that you dont fall prey to one of the inviting shop owners who are always standing by to lure you to their shops.There are some old & famous markets around Char Minar selling local specialities like Bangles and Oyester Moti..known to be the 2nd biggest center for trading of moti's in Asia.Fortunately for us, we hit upon a local Government Tourism Officer who guided us well on what to see and what to be careful of in that area.Chaumala Palace from Char Minar is 15 mins walk thru Mina Bazar.Known to be Heritage & official Palace of the Nizam's - Today has become a venue for rich & famous of the city to hold their marriages and big events.2 levels of beautiful buildings offers a good background for marriages, shootings etc.By the time we reached the palace, we had only 1 hour left before its close.But Sai was hungry as well so we first fed her and then decided to make the best of remaining 45 mins and which we did. Basically palace's main attractions are the main Darbar hall where Nizam's darbar used to be held and their Car Garriage which among others houses the Famous "Rolce Royce - Ghost-a early 19th century custom made car.The most expensive car of that time and even today, had travelled just 300 off Kms.Kept seperately in the garriage, the car is a must see thing in the palace.Other than that its basically a typical royal palace guarded by tall walls.Its spread over a very big area and a watre fountain in the middle plus typical muslim arcitecture does offer a good scanic view for some clicks.



We did manage to finish the coverage of the palace by 5 pm.From there we went back Charminar.This time from another side,offering us different views which ofcourse we captured in our cameras.We controlled all the shopping temptations and from there hired auto to get to Lumbini Gardens.I must say here that all the main gardens are definietly a big attraction of Hyderabad.Sai was asleep by this time.But she woke up once we entered the gardens.At the entrace, there is a ride that offers you 360 degree view of the nearby area.Approx 100 feet high,its a circuler saucer that spinsenoug around itself at slow speed and at the same time goes up.Nearby you can see the famous buddha statue in the middle of Hussain sagar lake. Lumbini gardens is on the banks of that lake.Garden looks beautiful from top.One can also see nearby Birla temple and NTR gardens.We thougt Sai will cry once the ride goes up but surprisingly enough, she was enjoying it as much as we wee re.Once back on the grounds, nam and Sai took a toy train ride that takes you around the gardens.Again something that Sai enjoyed.We were a bit hungry now.Good thing was there were stalls inside in teh gardens in a designated area. We had corns and soft drinks before walking towards the ampetheatre for evening laser show.It was at 7.30 pm and did started on time. As people were gathering and there was still some time for show to start, some local tourist entertained the crowds with their filmy moves on the songs which were being played in the background.Absolute fun it was!!And Laser Show was no less.That 30 min show tells story of rich local heritage thru a mix of songs and dialogues coupled with beutifully crafted videos on the background of water fountains.Its comparable to those of Sentosa Islands!!We left mesmirised from there.Picked up an auto and came backsome around 8.30 pm. After getting refreshed at the hotel room, it was time for delicious dinner at Hotel Restaurant.Post lunch, we retired to the bed.

Next day agenda was Ramoji Filml city.Main reason as to why choose Hyderabad as a destination for our first outing with Sai.It took us a while to be ready that morning but we still managed to be at the lobby by 10.15 am.Ramoji is almost 70-90 min ride from central Hyderanad and is located on outskirts of the city. We made inquiries for the car but couldnot get a good deal, hence decited to hire a auto.Outside the exit, we also got a nice chap who we managed to convince with fare of 1200 INR. He did charged us for the pacrking Rs 100 seperately but that was decent.It took us almost 1 hr and 20 mins to reach the gates of Ramoji. In Ramoji, you have 2 choices,either a normal ticket or a VIP ticket. I have done checks on previous day on internet abt those and have already made up our minds that we will op for VIP but didnt knew that their ticket window closes at 12 noon. We reached the windowdefi just when they were about to close it. That day, we were the last visitors to get VIP pass.It costs you double the money but has some easy pass entries plus guided tour thruout so that one can appreciate and enjoy the Ramoji experience better.We were dropped at the gate in a special car and were also welcomed graciously with a cold drink
Famous Paradise HotelFamous Paradise HotelFamous Paradise Hotel

for Hyderabad Biryani
and warm smiles before we started the tour.First up was Live show called "Spirit of Ramoji".Very well structured, it has solo and team dance performances that entertains the crowds.One thing that we noticed there is number of Maharashtrians around us in that park.I learnt later that due to close distance, many from border city and towns of Maharashtra visit Hyderabad for family vacations.Anyways, it was good to see them around us!!Next up was lunch at a studio themed restaurant which was complimentary with our VIP tikctes.and it was delicious too.We got 1 hour break for that and consiering that we have to feed Sai who was also enjoying her own way, it was definitely needed. We just managed to finish by 2pm. The pick up was waiting for us outside to take us on a Hollywood arena area of the park.To those who have been to Universal Studios, this area reminds you of that place. Similer rides,similar structures, music in the background,live shows on the pathways,its a key feature of the park.The best I like there was "Around the World" water ride that takes you thru all the 7 continents of the world which have been set up as a miniature world.there.There are also life size statues oindian and hollywood heros from past and present that one can take photos with.Some of the heros that possibly you wont find anywhere else are Raavan,Ganesha from Indian Mythology.We spent quiet some time here and enjoyed before embarking upon a Ramoji Park ride in AC bus.This ride takes you thru thw whole Ramoji Film city and the guide will explain each place,shooting location with its importance.Its really remarkable!!You have every possible site here created that a filmmaker would need. From foreign beighbiurhood to village railway stations to gardens to shoot romantic songs to highways to shoot action sequence.Amazing thing is thoughts applied in its designing.e.g the Railway is designed in such way that from outside,it can be used a big town train station and inside it resembeles a small vilage train station.Same bunglow gives you 3 different appearance when looked from 3 sides.One I would remember the most is the set for historical serials like Ramayana where they have set up 3 different types of darbar's which allows 3 seperate shootings to take place at a time.Simply great!!It takes approx 45 mins for finishing that tour. Quiet a few hit films we were told have been shooted there in recent past.Right from Dirty Picture to Nerolac Ad of SRK.Great fun.Post that tour, it was time for a "Wild Wild West" action show.Its a live action show loosely based on US Cowboy's.Apart fro entertainment, it also gives you inside into action sequences that we see in movies.Nam walked out early from there as Sai was sleeping at that time and that show had lot of noise.POst that show, the guide dropped us the entry.This central area has again lot of rides.Fundootsan entrance is also from this central area.Fundostan is the place for kids where you have mini Titanic which house game parlour, a Haunted House and a mini theatre among other attractions.We took quiet a few snaps here with Sai as she was awake by this time.It was around 6 pm now and we had to grab evening snacks before the park closes at 6.30 pm.We did that at Dilse Restaurant.Ramoji is certfied by Guiness Book as biggest Film Studio complex in the world and does live upto its billing.It may not as huge as Universal or Disney as a Theme Park but definitely best place for Indians to have good family holdays with kids.Bus stand from where Ramoji bus takes you to the gates is also opposite Dil Se.We got in as our per our turn in the queue and reahced tha gates around 6.45 pm. The Auto driver who we have hired was waitng at the gate.It took us another 90 odd minutes t o be back in Hotel.Those 90 mins in travel, we were only talking about how great creators of Ramoji are and what a amazing place it is in India to visit.
There was a nice little Chaiwala near the hotel entrance.We had some hot tea there before going to our rooms.After yet another fantastic boufet dinner, we returned to our rooms and ended our day 3 of the visit.

Next day was a bit lazy.We had shopping on our agenda and a few siteseeing places like Golkonda Fort.Shopping got priortised.Nam made thourogh inquiries with lady attendants at the hotel.After her discussions, she decided that Ganeral Bazar in neighbouring Secunderabad city is the place to go for shopping.It was hardly 15 mins drive from our hotel.Its narrow lane less that 5-8 meters wide which has shops on both the sides.Locals prefer this market over Charminar as its much
Lumbini GardensLumbini GardensLumbini Gardens

Arial View of Hussain Sagar Lake
cheaper i guess here.We spent good hour or so here but not before having few pairs of punjabi dress materials and famed Minakari Bangles from there.We were hungry now.After walking out, we thought we will find a good joint around.and we got a jackpot!!

Paradise is one place in Hyderabad which is famous for its Hyderabadi Biryanis. Paradise is at stones throw away from ganeral Bazar.Its a multyu storey restaurant which boasts of almost 50 years of history from early 1950's. Many famous personalities had been here.We were lucky that we hit upon that place accidently.Once inside, we ordered the obvious favourate of that place and like Ramoji,that dish lived upto its fame.Who would not want to rest after such a good meal!!We returned to the hotel and had some rest.For evening that was a bit of dliemma between Golkona fort and NTR Gardens but after some thought, we decided in favour of NTR Gardens. We left but only after enjoying a hot tea at the Hotel restaurant.NTR is closer to where Lumbini Garden is.If Lumbini Garden boats of spectaculer lake view, NTR is famous for its wonderful flowers and lovely design and eye pleasing fountains.It had one at the entrance and even the entrance is beautifully edsigned in the shape of a South Indian temple.Like Lumbini, there is a kids area where you have rides simler to that Lumbini but what NTR has and Lumbini doesnot is wonderful fountains.You will also find ladies who would do a Mehendi on your hands.Nam got one on her left hand.Such a flow those ladies have when they draw it!!Result of practice!!Sai was awake now and she enjoyed that running around with us.These gardens are really wonderful for locals here.Fairly well maintained and lots of fun for kids. No wonder these feature in Hyderabad's must see list for the tourists!!We hanged around for a while post sunset and then hired auto to return to hotel. We had our customary tea at the outisde tea stall before returning to the room. That night was our last dinner at the restaurant.We enjoyed it thouroughly!!After being back in room, we did some basis packing for departure before going to bed.

Next day on Friday, we had our return flight at 12.20 pm.Accordingly we packed, had breakfast & left hotel as well in time.We thought all the fun is over when we left the hotel.We never knew what was in store for us!!The driver we got was very talkative and courteous.On our way to airport, he took a halt at famous "Karachi Bakery" so that we can pick up some good bakery items for family back home.Fromd there on till airport, he kept us engaged in the talks so much so that we completely missed to watch the time. When got at the airport and went for check in, we were told by the Airline Crew that gates have been closed and no more entry will be allowed. The person in charge was quiet rude!!We made requests.Fortunately one of his assitant was good.She made some quick calls and allowed us to board.We made it in nick of time!!This time we got different seats.Sai was with Nam.Nam fortunately got good lady co passenger which made the 1 hour journey back easy for both her & Sai.At the Mumbai airport,we landed safely but we didnt knew that we had a unpleasant surprise waiting for us.After landing,we couldnot locate our luggage which was checked in.We had that doubt when we checked in late we didnt thought that it will actually be untraced.As a result, even after landing at around 1.15 in noon, we were at the airport till almost 3.15 pm.Finally we left after lodging the complaint with Indigo.On our way we picked up Aai and then came home by 6 pm.Fortunately they located the bag same day and informed us. I went the next day & picked it up.

Our first real holiday after Nam got pregnant in Q1, 2010 after all was a very good experience. Sai proved all our comprehensions wrong.She enjoyed it as much as we did.Success of this holiday has definitely given us lot of confidence to plan the next one in the near future.



Top Experiences in Hyderabad


• Full day Ramoji Film City Tour
• Spend time in eveings at NTR/Lumbini Gardens
• Enjoy Laser Show at Lumbini Gardens.
• Engage in Local shopping at General Bazar.
• Feast on Hyderabadi Biryani at Paradise Restaurant near General Bazar.
• Feel the history at Old City - Charminar & Chaumala Palace.Check the RR Ghost on display at the palace.
• Enjoy the hospitality of Sarovar Group of Hotels.tasty food and impeccable service.
• Safdarganj Museum visit - especially the Rebecca in The Veil.Master piece of stone art.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb