Kolhapur-Goa-Tarkarli - Family Holiday (June 2012)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Malvan
June 23rd 2012
Published: September 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

somwhere in April, Nikhil my nephew, suggested that we should go out for a picnic in June.June b'use he was going to be free and wanted to enjoy before he starts his final year.Initially i thought it to be a passing thought.Never did i anticipated that it will be so eagerly awaited and so much discussed and planned trip of recent times for all of us!!Nikhil/me/Nam/Mai were constantly in touch with each other on reservations from that time till actual date of travel.Nick visited us few times just to discuss and plan.That level of enthusiam was amazing!!It actually drew me closer and got me more and more involved as we approached the day of travel.Nam was as usual intensely busy in packing since we were travelling such a long distance by car with Sai for the first time.

All that pre travel interactioned ensured that we had our stay reservations confirmed at all key places where we were going to have the overnight stay.We booked at Margaon,Goa at LIC Guest House and then at Tarkarli at MTDC resorts. Me & Mai have submitted a weeks leave at our offices.Nikhil and Mai came down to our place on Saturday 9th June around 8.30 am. We quickly wound up and started our journey by 9.15 am. This was our first outing together as a family for such a extended period.We all were excited with the prospects!!Another good thing was Me & Nick both knew driving so it was going to be easy on each other.No single person was required to drive thruout which is tiring!!

We zeroed out on Mumbai Bangalore highway as our route that takes us thru Pune - Satara to Kolhapur where we had planned to halt for overnight stay. Our first halt came at Pune where we stopped at a hotel..dont recall the name but it was highway only.I drove from Pune to Satara where we took the 2nd at a roadside hotel. Had some hot vadapav, Bhajiyas and tea. All 3 were had amazing taste.Nikhil then took over from me till Kolhapur. By 6 pm..in day time we reached Kolhapur. For overnight stay, we first went to Hotel Opal which was preferred choice given its reputation but unfortunately for us, it was all booked. Hence as alternate, we then checked in at Kohinoor Square which was not too far from there. In fact it was closer to Ambabai Mandir.Apprently that hotel chain is managed by Ex CM Manohar Joshi.Hotel was decent.I think it had very good infrastructure but could be maintained better.We booked 2 adjucent rooms.After checking in, got refreshed...took bath and went out for Dinner at Opal Hotel Restaurant.Kolhapur is world famous for Panhala,Rankala and food.In Food 2 local delicacies are Tambda Rassa and Pandhra Rassa.We had both in our order for the dinner that night.Its basically chicken soup - One with spice and one without.But one has to taste it if they are in Kolhapur. After a good dinner, we strolled around the hotel,took some snaps at the varanda and then returned back to the hotel for bed.

Next day Sunday was booked for local siteseeing. Among the alternatives, we choose Panhala and Tope Chinmay Ganesh. But first we decided to seek the blessings of Kolhapurchi Ambabai. Her temple was hardly 10 mins away from our hotel.We hired auto from the road across and went to the temple. Being Sunday morning,there was rush. Considering the crowd, we decided to go the short cut way ie mukhdarshan from a distance i/o waiting in the queue.After seeking her blessings, we went out and had some good sugarcane juice.For those who are not aware, Kolhapur-Satar belt is home to biggest and the best sugarcane factories in India.Ladies indulged in some local shopping while me and Nick waited patiently outside the shops. From there we went back to hotel, picked up the car and were on our way to Panhala. Panhala fort most famous for escape of Shivaji Maharaj from Siddhi Johar is a great fort which still remains in decent condistions as witness to great Maratha history.Iam saying decent conditions b'use except Raigad ie Capital fort of Maratha Kingdom, we will read in press and medie that most of the other forts are maintained poorly. Here its not that State Govt has done anything extraordinary but they have certainly done some good things. 2 things I can think of is Tabak Udyan which a garden maintained at the mouth of vally within the fort and the way they have encourged local people to set up their food shops and stalls for the visitors. Notable amongst them are the ones which are governed by Women's committee.Dont miss to have your lunch there with some freshly prepared bhakri and spicy zunka.Tabak udyan is one garden which is very well designed and maintained. One has step down almost 50-75 steps to reach its base and then there are wonderful pathways that lead to the vally view.Beware of monkeys there though!!After spending some good time at Panhala we started driving towards Tope Chinmay Ganesh. It was longer than what i thought initially.Cinmay Ganesh is a 85 feet Lord Ganesh idol built by Chinmay Trust of South India. They believe is worship of Lord Ganesha and have built similer temples across india. One at Tope is probably the biggest in India and the world. Located on a small hilltop close to the Mumbai Bangalore highway,its a nicely maintained temple on top of which the idol sits.The surroundings are so peaceful that no one wish to leave and so did we. Fortunately for us, we also got to attend his Arti at the evening. One thing that strikes you at that place is the simplicity of place and serenity of the surroundings.I enjoyed that peaceful time there after long travel that we had been thru in last 2 days!! We left from there.It was almost sunset time. Dinner plan for that night was a place called "Phadtare Misal Kendra".But we did managed to find it ..thanks to I Phone Maps, but after reaching we came to know that its open only from morning to noon. Hence at last minute we have to change our plans.We went to Restaurant of Hotel Panchshil instead and had routine continental food.Hotel has strong Wifi signals.Me & Nick were following French Open Final that night between Nadal and Djoker which Nadal finally won next day.

Next day we checkout from Kohinoor Square.Before taking the highway, we thought of trying our luck with Ambabai templ e and it worked. Less rush so we easily got the chance to offer prayers from the main dome.We did that and started our journey towards Margaon, Goa.Nick was our guide in this phase.He was thoroughly aware routes,where to eat, what to see.he took us thru Amboli.It was drizzling and at times raining heaviliy.All in all quiet a plesant journey from Kolhapur to Amboli.At Amboli, we stopped at MTDC Resorts for lunch.We ordered Chicken Vade for all and what a delicious food it was!!Simply melts in your mouth.By the time cook prepared the food, Nick took us around the resorts.We didnt had time but if we had, I really would have liked to stay there.Such a amazing place it was!!Post lunch we thought we had just enough time to cover one of the points at Amboli. Nick suggested Mahadevgad.And it was worth it. Road to the point from the main road is quiet bumpy but once you reach the destination, you will forget that.

The route that we took for goa from Kolhapur was from Amboli.Nikhil knew all the routes as if he is a localite.It was of great help to us. The travel happened with minimum need for direction.He even knew what to see and where to eat!!For lunch he took the halt at MTDC Resorts at Amboli.We ordered non veg lunch.As the mean was getting cooked, we explored the property.We didnt had time but this place is on for our next visit to Malvan.and what a delicious lunch it was!!Do make it a point to halt here and have food!!we had limited time and lot do points to visit.Finally in the interest of time, we decided to do what Nikhil suggested.ie Mahadevgadh point.A few kilometers away from the main road,approach road is quiet bumpy.careful of bees on the way.Keep the window glass closed.Once you reach the point, you will be mersmirised by the bounty of nature.Cool breeze welcomes you.Vally view all across.Great location for landscape snap!!It was overcast for most time when we were there.So was nice being there and enjoy the nature.After filling our lungs with fresh air, we continued our journey to Goa from there.Via Sawantwadi-Terekhol-Panji we reached Margaon late in evening.Had some showers in Sawantwadi but in Goa,it was again overcast but not raining.Last leg of the travel from Panji to Margaon was actually tiring and endless wait.Directions to our guesthouse were not clear to us.Hence we have to ask many folks and funny part was,each one we asked will ell us in their own unique style.e.g Some lady guided us saying that we have to "Straightaway" and not straight!!Someone actually us not to ask anyone!!Funny little things!FInally we found the place and got inn by 9.30 pm.Before retiring to bed, we had the worst dinner of the tour at a nearby hotel La Marina.Name sounds like its a big one but food was equally bad.Surprising thing was Sai is the only one who ate there among all 5 of us.Aviod La Marina in Margaon.Its near the Market area.

In Goa, we had planned for 3 places..Doodhsagar Waterfalls/Spice Garden visit and Old Goa.Next day we got up after taking some good rest which meant that porposition to Doodhsagar was ruled out. I made some basic inquiries for the Spice in Ponda, some 35 km away and we decided to go there first and it was worth the visit.We reached the area in approx 90 mins.Post Ponda, it takes you towards the mountains.At the base of mountains, one can see sign boards for spice gardens.There are a few in that area.We zeroed out on one that we have called.Spice garden wont typically feature on the list of Goa visitors as its a bit of the track but folks who want to see Goa beyond beach and booze, its a great change.From the parking area, you walk down and then you have a nice wooden bridge.There is a water body beneth it but since monsoon has not started, there was not as much water as one would expect.At the entry, you are greeted with garlands by a staff who then guides you on your itinerary for the next hour.Welcome is also accompanied by some nice hot herbal tea to freshen you up.In next hour or so, you are guided thru a demo spice garden by a staff who will show you different spice plants and their uses in daily life.We got someone called "Pappu" and he was good at engaging visitors.Nam among us answered a few of his questions correctly on spices.Not that there were prizes for that but we all did got to experience something called "Magic Waters" at the end of that tour.Cold magical water running down your spine is a nice experience.The lunch that follows (which is also part of the package that you buy) is no less good.They keep a good combo of veg and non veg varieties and food is tasty too.One can watch Kingsisher and other variety of birds while you eat in their huts.Finally before checkout, you can buy spices and associated products from their shop at reasonable prices. In peak season, they also have option of having a Elephant bath for the visitors.Due to off season, it was not open.We did saw elephgants outside though!

After that nice experience we then turn our direction towards Old Goa.As many know, Goa was a Purtugese colony.Old goa is the area where they operated in their prime.Thus that area which has remains of their part glory, is what Old Goa is all about.Its a World Heritage site by Unesco.And it does leave it upto its expectations as World Heritage Site.We didnt explored much but did visited a local museum which has some old arteffects and historical details of portugese regime on Goa.Nikhil suggested a Sugarcane juicewala.We went there, did some window shopping before starting our trip towards Panji.One thing that folks should do while in Goa is ensure that they fill up the petrol tanks of their cars.Petrol and booze are almost 25-40 % cheaper in Goa as state government dont levy any state taxes on both.Panji from Old goa is around 45 mins drive.Our destination was Baga beach.Coming to Goa and not visiting any beach is like going to Vegas and not visiting any Casino.Its the Prime attraction of that place and one must visit atleast one of the beaches in their goa trips.We reached there is mid evening.It was still an hour or so for sunset.It was high tide so waves were bigger and higher than otherwise.We though Sai will enjoy but exactly opposite happened.She was frightened of water like a mouse is of Cat.The moment we try to put her down, she would scream.For some reason she is extremely afraid of water.Hence lot of fun has to be curtailed.We hence deciced to relax in the Shaks.The first one that came on our walk, we picked up a table there.It was nice experience enjoying the sunset in front of you on a beach with booze in your hand.You dont get to these every day!!Once the sun set and we finished the booze, we moved on for dinner.There was a good hotel on our way to beach that me & Nikhil have noticed.It turns out to be a really good one as we had our dinner there.A bit on expensive side but it was very good. Almost exclusive as we were the only one inn at that time in that hotel.Apprently its owned by Ex CM Narayan Rane.Funny part was the hotel that we intended to go was actually next door but we took this one for that,only to realise the goof up after we came out.But anyhow the dinner was delicious.Nikhil took us back in almost 1 hour from there, defying estimates by most of us.I think thats the fastest that he drive thruout that week with us!!

Next day was set for Doodhsagar Waterfalls.We actually got a little late start to the day.Per Iphone maps, it was indiacating that distance is around 95 kms & some weird long routes for some reason.We even went to the Margaon railway station and inquired for the train option but it turned out to be impractical.Thus finally we decided to continue and left guesthouse around 10.30 am.We were able to cover the distance of 80 odd kms in good time thru Ponda.The falls are closer to a place called "Kolam".At Kolam, there is a good resort by the name of "Wild Mushroom".Its nice property in the vicinity of "Bhagwan Mahavir Sanctuary" on Goa - Karnataka border.We took a halt there, had breakafast.For the ladies if they are travelling, this is a good place to get refreshed and get ready for the thrill ride that awaits the visitors to Doodhsagar.We learnt there that due to onset of monsoons, the jeep rides to the falls have been replaced with Pilot driven bikes.We still moved on.Upon reaching the base, we were welcomed by a group of young folks, we informed us about next things.It was a 15 km travel on bike with their pilot for Rs500 per head.The road goes parallel to train track for almost 20 mins before you get off and pick up a jungle trail.Then from the dense jungle,its additional 35-40 mins before you reach the base area of falls.One has to pass thru couple of river flows inbetween.Good that its just a start to monsoons,otherwise I can imagine what a adventure it can be!.Not that it was any less for us especially with Sai with us. We hired 4 bikes for 4 of us.Sai was crying seeing new people around and we were equally worried. They did explained the travel but never did we anticipated that its going to be as adventourous as it turns out to be. Fortunately the pilots were good for both Nam and Mai which helped.We reached the falls after a thrilling bike ride and it started raining.We wait in the sheds hoping that it will slow down but there were no such signs.We had around an hour at the falls,hence finally me & nikhil started ahead as Mai And Nam with Sai waited on.From the base to the actual falls, one has to go thru all river flow,slippery stones.It was exiciting to be up and so close one of the tallest waterfalls in india.We had a few blokes to accompany us at that time.One can relate to why it is called "Doodhsagar" ie Sea of Milk.The flow was not at its peak, but it was good enough to give us the thrill that we came here to experience.Nikhil knows swimming so he went straight in.Everybody else around us also went inn leaving me as only one out.The water was shallow but stones underneath slippery.Plus from the end from where they got in, it was just a few feets away from the actual fall.So I was afraid.But finally somehow all around helped and I plunged inn. Nikhil helped me get steady.We even went beneathe the falls which was awsome experience.We spent good 15-20 mins in there before coming out.The water was cold but not freezing cold.On our way back to the base,to our surprise we also met Mai, Nam with Sai.One of our pilots was very good at heart.He escorted both of them with them with Sai to a place from where they can see the falls.So even their hardship paid well.Slowly & cautiously we then returned to the base for another hour long bumpy bike ride.We to reached safely back car.It was thrilling for all of us that we did something like this.Undoubtedly the most cherished experience of this tour!!On the way back, we again took halt at Wild Mushroom Resorts.Ate,got
fresh and started our return journey.That night we ordered Pizza from nearby Dominos.Till bed time, we help but recall the thrill it was to be at Doodhsagar!!

Next day was Thursday-day 6 of our trip.Target was to reach Tarkarli via Vengurla.We left in good time, had breakfast at Monginis, had our petrol tank full and left for Vengurla.Again this time getting into familier territory, Nikhil turned as our guide.We stopped on the way at Vetoba's temple to offer our prayers before hitting vengurla for our lunch.Nikhil picked up one of best places in Vengurla.The place is called Hotel Gajali.Fantastic seaside views and equally good malvani food.It was amazing.No wonder why Nam felt like taking a nap post that when we went to Nick's uncle's house in Vengurla.Being native place, most of Nick's relatives have their own houses in Vengurla.We took some rest at his uncle's house.That evening we spent some time in meeting our relatives based out of Vengurla. When the sun was about to set we started our travel towards Tarkarli. It was a long road and navigating thru dark was making it difficult.But Nikhil was on the wheels and we safely reached Tarkarli MTDC resorts by around 9 pm. It was rather late check in so we quickly placed our bags in our rooms and went to their open air restaurant for dinner. We all had tasty Chicken Wade.Only problem was flies as it has just rained.Fortunately for us none fell in our plates!!



MTDC Tarkarli has nicely placed on the seashore in a very wide area.Just 5 mins drive from the backwaters it is very well maintained for hygene & service.



travel


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 32


Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb