Snorkeling and Asia's best beach


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Andaman & Nicobar Islands » Havelock Island
December 18th 2012
Published: January 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We got up early to get ready for snorkel boat. I thought we should call our agent as afterall we booked everything with him. He proposed the same boat trip for Rs 1000 as he had 3 other folks going to the beach. Fine by us, we wanted to share anyway. Then we had really nice dosa breakfast there. On the way to Elephant beach, we saw some people Kayak, and thought perhaps we should also Kayak.
Elephant beach was nice, it was small and we were there early, so there was some peace. We immediately got into water. Both of us were anxious to try our new found swimming skills, and they helped. Then the guide said he will take us snorkel one by one because he was actually going to hold our hand and drag us through the waters. Strange! So we went one by one, and he took us a bit deep where we could actually see fishes. We missed having our own equipment as then we could have gone a bit deeper ourselves (maybe). But still there were fishes, lots of them. I wished I had a waterproof camera. No one selling those here.
Once we each had a round, we noticed that that beach was full of people now. We wanted another shot at snorkel, a longer way this time and were willing to pay and we wanted to go together. So we cut this deal with our guide for Rs 600. But then he could not find equipment or time to take us. Again, wish we had our own equipment. Finally he could find someone to take us one-by-one due to lack of equipment. It did not disappoint us. We saw Nemo! There were less schools of fishes here, but a lot of individual fishes. I really wish we had a underwater camera at this point.
After snorkel we all headed back to ferry terminal from where we were finally going to Radhanagar beach, to the hotel Harmony with which we had booked everything. This beach was once featured the best beach in Asia. We will see about that.
We picked up our luggage and headed for Radhanagar. It was on other side of the island, quite a long ride. On the way we kept asking for our return tickets and always got answer "ho jayega", and we know very well not to trust that. The hotel was simple, a collection of hut type rooms. They had small home-kitchen for food. We finally met our agent there. We had a very nice lunch, very home cooked, traditional begali meal.
Then we took some rest as it was really hot outside. Once the sun came down a bit, we headed to Radhanagar beach, a short 5 min walk from hotel. The beach was marvelous. It was definitely one of the best beaches we have seen, long stretches of soft sand and blue waters. They had made effort to keep the beach clean also. We dumped our stuff somewhere, got into swimsuits and headed into the water. It did not disappoint. The shallow soft same continued for a long way. This time we were not scared and really got into water, swimming. We had really great time swimming. For the first time we were the people who went deep into the water, it was great! Perfect almost clear waters.
After getting tired of swimming, we sat and saw the sun go down, one of rare sites for us. Then headed back to hotel where we had a nice simple dinner. We also decided that instead of going to Port Blair next day, we will stay at same hotel for another night, we wanted more swimming at the beach. We also arranged to Kayak the next day.

Advertisement



5th January 2013

:)
I'll be on the Andaman Islands in August. Thanks for the preview. :)

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb