Schenzhen and Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
September 15th 2006
Published: October 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

9/12-9/15

We flew into Shenzen, which is about an hours train ride from Hong Kong city, but still considered part of China (as opposed to Hong Kong which is considered a special zone- with its own immigration and customs at the border). Shenzen is actually a special economic zone within china, and as a result has lower tariffs than anywhere else in the country. Bottom line, Shenzen is a small bustling city, with the wildest shopping available, probably anywhere. There are many factories nearby producing the widest range of goods. Huge markets with genuine and knock off goods (your choice) had us running around nonstop for the 20ish hours we were there. We both picked up some new gear, especially Jaime who got a bunch of rock bottom priced ski clothing (to be used at our next stop in New Zealand). We managed to ship two packages back home from Hong Kong. I picked up some business type clothing for a visit to my office in Hong Kong. One funny side note, was that I needed to get the dress pants ($6) hemmed so I looked somewhat presentable. We found a tailor on the street, and he managed to measure me and hem the pants in about 10 minutes for a total cost of 40 cents. Makes me wonder why my tailor at home needs my pants for 2 days and charges $10?

After a challenging 10 days traveling through Tibet, Jaime and I were quite relieved to find modern metropolitan civilization in Hong Kong. Our friend Mitch introduced us to his friends Phillipe and Michelle, who generously invited us to stay in their apartment in Hong Kong for the few days we were there. It was a full luxury building, and Jaime and I were absolutely ecstatic to find working plumbing.

We spent our days exploring the different sections of Hong Kong, enjoying some shopping in Kowloon, and visiting the financial district on Hong Kong island. We both stopped and visited our employers offices. Jaime met up with her friend Lee who she worked with in the London office but has since moved to HK. She seemed elated to see a familiar face. I really enjoyed meeting some of the Hong Kong sales-force that I do business with, on their home turf. We tried to get together for a meal outside the office, but sadly a level 3 Typhoon (one below the max) came into town and put a crimp in those plans. Within Hong Kong, I most enjoyed the great efficiencies the main island has incorporated, with loads of second floor pedestrian walkways, allowing traffic on the street to flow much better than it does in Manhattan.

We found Hong Kong to be a lovely city, a really unusual mix of Chinese and English culture. Although Europeans make up a small percentage of the population, most everyone speaks English, and we found it fairly easy to get around town. A lasting effect of British control, but we enjoyed seeing a bit more familiar culture.

We both really loved the wide variety in food (a welcomed change from the pigs feet we snacked on in Tibet) and a lot of the restaurants felt much like NYC, with delicious options on every corner. We managed to have a couple of nice nights out, exploring a few trendy bars and scenes. Our most memorable night was spent with our awesome hosts and Lee showing us a fantastic part of town and our first Mexican meal (who would have thought?) in at least 5 months!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

City View from the FerryCity View from the Ferry
City View from the Ferry

you can see our typhoon is on its way.
Our Awesome HostsOur Awesome Hosts
Our Awesome Hosts

Michelle couldn't resist a feel
View from the hilltopView from the hilltop
View from the hilltop

A nearly verticle trolley took us to this fine view of the city. Too bad the rain limited the visibility.
KowloonKowloon
Kowloon

smile's cus we are now in civilization


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb