Hong Kong - Tradition mixed with Modernities


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
December 26th 2004
Published: December 26th 2004
Edit Blog Post

What colors!What colors!What colors!

This is a new Museum in Tsim Tsa Tsui - the colors are amazing

Summary


This is my 2nd trip to Hong Kong. I visited Hong 9 years ago pre-China handoff and now and post-China changes. What has changed? Is it the same Hong Kong as my previous visit? So much has changed. There are the obvous changes from new construction and then the other changes from political to social. I discovered more than I had missed from my first trip. The food seem to be better, every thing seem more efficient and clean.

On the surface, Hong Kong seems like a bustling fast-paced city. Yes, it is a city full resonating of modernities and materialism. However, underneath the cell phones, skyscrapers, bright lights and endless shopping centers, lies a culture that is very traditional Chinese. One must scrape past the surface, to see this. Take a trip to the traditional villages, boat people, quaint teashops and more traditional people. Delve a little past the Central Kowloon district and the skyscrapers dotting Hong Kong Island to see this culture. It is this new mixed with tradition that makes Hong Kong a great place to visit.

Thoughts


My last visit to Hong Kong was in 1995/1996 when it was still a
The old and the newThe old and the newThe old and the new

I like to take pictures that contrasts old and the new. Here is a traditional walled village with a backdrop of a tall apartment building
British colony. Now, China operates a policy of “one country, two systems” Does the two systems work or is it just a catchy phrase in order to slowly meld a capitalist and free market into China?

We arrived at Newark Airport in about 45 minutes. There was no traffic. Our flight left at 3:25 and we had plenty of time to kill. We exchanged the world clock at Brookstone

On the 3rd day, I called my cousin, once removed, Leung Yuk Cheung. She is the niece of my second grandmother. So, she is the cousin of my father, by marriage. She has 4 sisters and two brothers. So, there were 7 siblings in her family. I also met Joey and MunMun, the daughter of her sister. Joey and MunNum are cousins.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb