Island South


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
April 25th 2006
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Making way for developmentMaking way for developmentMaking way for development

Dismantled and relocated from Admiralty, it now houses a bunch of touristy restaurants. We did NOT eat here.
After fighting the crowds for the first couple of days, Denise and I decided to slow things down a bit and head to the south side of Hong Kong Island. We quickly realized that you can never really 'get away from it all' in such a densely populated area. We took a double-decker bus ride to Stanley which proved to be an adventure all its own. Barrelling down steep hills and around tight mountain corners, all while riding the ass of the bus/motorcycle/taxi/small child on a tricycle in front of us, it was a little nerve-wracking at times, but very fun indeed especially with our top floor seats right up front.

There's not much to do in Stanley - aside from a market (smaller and less frantic than Temple Street), a relocated colonial building (the Murray House), a couple of unimpressive temples, several pricey waterfront restaurants, and a maximum security prison - you'd be hard pressed to spend an entire day here (incarceration at said prison excluded of course). The lack of attractions notwithstanding, it was really nice to casually stroll through town without getting pestered with fliers and battling your way through the throngs of Chinese people on their
Zen GardenZen GardenZen Garden

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
mobile phones. But fear not! As I still managed to find (cause?) trouble in this peaceful seaside town.

In the main square a little gift shop caught my eye and I was compelled to take a picture, proof that such a ridiculous place existed. There in front of me stood a large assortment of creepy, soul-stealing garden gnomes adorned with little flashing lights - the sign above the door read "Zen Garden" - and I could hardly contain my laughter! Just when in hell did garden gnomes become a part of Zen? And how on earth do you keep a straight face when discussing the strategic Feng Shui placement of 'Seamus the Jolly Lad' limited edition tacky ornamental decoration in your not-so-zen zen garden?

"Right next to the plastic flamingos perhaps, sir?"

I couldn't suppress the giggles enough to actually walk in and feign interest while gandering at the collection of evil, so I took a picture from the walkway instead. But I was very quickly (and aggressively) told to fuck off by the shopkeeper while attempting to take more photos. On that note we thought it best to head over to Repulse Bay before I found
Bathroom Tile GodBathroom Tile GodBathroom Tile God

To say it is ugly is to be kind, to describe it accurately is to be obscene.
myself locked away in the nearby prison for hassling the stupid.

Repulse Bay, one of the wealthiest places in Hong Kong, has a popular beach and a shrine to Kwun Yam, the God of Mercy - and judging by the shrine itself, possibly the God of Bathroom Tiles too! I guess I don't quite understand the fascination with these little ceramic squares, but they cover everything in that shit. I swear, bathroom tiles are the official wall covering in the People's Rebublic of China! And it was such a nice day too, the beach was clear and the water inviting, but the Chinese tourists where swarming to this ugly site in droves to take pictures. Mind you, we were taking pictures too, but I doubt for the same reason.

With the exception of the hideous Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota, I can't think of another attraction that would make your eyes bleed just by looking in its general direction. Vomit for the eyes!

Anyway, we crossed the Longevity Bridge and added 3 days to our lives, then quickly headed for the beach (ahhh, visual safety) for a nice romantic walk overlooking the South China Sea before catching
Give a man a fish...Give a man a fish...Give a man a fish...

...and he builds a nasty ass shrine.
a bus back to the hostel.

Camille & Denise


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Stanley MarketStanley Market
Stanley Market

Same crap as all the other markets, but with that 'no hassle' attitude.
Crap for saleCrap for sale
Crap for sale

Hmmm, I wonder if they have garden gnomes?
Jigsaw PuzzleJigsaw Puzzle
Jigsaw Puzzle

They made such a mess cataloguing the pieces that during reassembly there were 6 leftover columns once the reconstruction was complete.
Murray HouseMurray House
Murray House

Originally built in 1846.
Repulse BayRepulse Bay
Repulse Bay

Expensive properties lining the beach.
DisgustingDisgusting
Disgusting

I didn't know you could build a shrine out of vomit.


28th April 2006

You'll be immortalized
in some tawdry true crime book about foriegners running amok in Asia pissing people off. You haven't begun stashing bodies in these tacky shrines yet have you? Love to both.
28th April 2006

Ah Zen
Didn't you know that kitch is the new Zen?
1st May 2006

Love all the pics
Thanks for the running commentary - don't end up in jail. :-)
19th May 2006

Eye vomit owns!
As a designer, I am always on the lookout for things that will make my eyes bleed. Jackpot! Tell your mom to email me her magic cookie recipe. My eyes will feel better and so will my tummy! Mmmm.
8th September 2006

Thought the Corn Palace looks pretty cool myself. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb