7th April, all day:


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
April 7th 2006
Published: April 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Replacement engineReplacement engineReplacement engine

An overhauled and painted engine awaits fitment; the old unit, which had covered 7 years and 900,000km, was using more oil than expected so will be rebuilt later.
Another day placed with NWFB’s overhaul section, examining how they have long term goals in sight with their maintenance programme - fleet performance and public perception both play a part when the company is bidding for future franchises so a great deal of effort is made to ensure the vehicle fleet is smart, reliable and presentable. This drive for service quality is a stark contrast to the ‘enough to stay legal’ approach that the UK industry is reputed for, and I hope those companies will appreciate the economic benefits of investing seriously in maintenance facilities and procedures in the same way that companies here do. Whether that will go so far as to involve the construction of a bodywork shop specifically for waxing the paintwork on vehicles every two years remains to be seen, but the sight of a man lovingly waxing coachwork and enamel paint is surely only reserved for enthusiasts clubs back in Blighty? As my guide approached it, waxing is a fraction of the cost of a respray with the same resulting finish, and easier washing to boot.

On the way home I catch the MTR to Shau Kei Wan and explore the street market there before
Waxing busesWaxing busesWaxing buses

This chap waxes buses - he does one a day, and gets round the whole fleet every three years. The final result is nearly as good as a respray, at less cost.
catching the tram home. This is a real street market for the local Chinese and not in the best part of town. There’s no tourist tat here and as I walk among the fruit and fish on sale I’ve never felt so awkwardly affluent, still dressed in my cotton shirt and silk tie from work. Head and shoulders above the bulk of the crowd, I’m painfully aware of my platinum tie clip catching the light like a beacon among grubby children and women pushing past each other to get the best deal on the day’s food. There are shirts for £2.50 though so I’ll be back to exploit their cheap labour like so many rich Westerners before me.

Riding the tram back to my flat, I notice there’s something quite magical about the vantage point from the upper-front of a double-decker vehicle at a busy pedestrian crossing as two phalanxes of people approach each other at the given signal, meet and pass through each other like two meeting shoals of fish.

Today’s theme is Alanis Morissette’s “One hand in my pocket” who could have written every line for all the individual people who visit Shau Kei Wan market every day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb