New Kids On The Blog


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
January 15th 2006
Published: January 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

New kids on the blogNew kids on the blogNew kids on the blog

Presenting our guest bloggers - Derek and Hazel.
We are very proud to announce a first for our blog, for one night only, we have guest writers, none other than Derek & Hazel Lambourne (Steve's mum and dad). D & H have flown out to see us for the next four days (brave souls) Over to you Del . . .

We're here to prove trekking and blogging isn't just the perogative of the young and to welcome other retirees, aiming to show them a clean pair of heels when it comes to planning, stamina and shrewd haggling techniques.

The Hong Kongeans have cleanliness and hygiene programmes from young and considering the large population it works extremely well, offering visitors a good impression. Everything and everyone seems to be on the move. Wan Chai with all it's neoned buildings literally hums with life. Transport, particularly red taxis, stream through the streets like blood through veins giving the city a dynamic pulse that reminds me of that other city that never sleeps.

Our first evening was spent at the Renaissance Harbour Hotel, our home for the next 4 nights. Providing guests with luxuries essential to the soul. Martine and Steve proved excellent company as we digested meal,
Hong Kong, CityscapeHong Kong, CityscapeHong Kong, Cityscape

Hong Kong Island
drinks and news from both camps.

Day 2 saw us visiting Victoria Peak to admire the vista vision, Hong Kong spread out beneath us. This was followed by an exhilirating taxi ride to Stanley Market. An ideal place to pick up a few bargains and presents for those at home. As the youngsters were flagging we returned to our hotel for a sumptuous buffet, before watching Spurs lose in the evening.

OVER TO HAZEL . . .

Day 3. Sha Tin racecourse started well with us all picking winners. Unfortunately it was downhill for us as the day wore on, except for Steve who managed to fund a fine lunch at MacDonalds out of his winnings. We finished the day at the Peninsula for a swanky tea (HKs equivalent of the Ritz). Derek let the side down a bit towards the end by spreading strawberry jam on his cake.

BACK TO DEREK . . .

Day 4 saw us visiting the Botanical Gardens and Hong Kong Park with the bonus of seeing several blushing brides, as the registry office happened to be in the park. Unlike other parks we have known and loved, these green spaces were perched up high and usually involved lots of steps and slopes. Calves, knees and shins all got a good workout, though this was supposed to be a gentle day. Tonight we are looking forward to the famed light show that plays across the harbour front buildings.

All in all it has been a fantastic trip. Globe trotting is certainly easier than working!

We'll end with an ode -

After a journey exhausting and long,
We finally landed in Hong Kong
But our spirits revived
When Martine & Steve arrived
And we knew our short visit wasn't wrong!




Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Bird Flu poster, HKBird Flu poster, HK
Bird Flu poster, HK

Bossy lot here. Do love telling the masses what to do, and more often what not to do.
Poster, HKPoster, HK
Poster, HK

Seems reasonable enough.
Poster 2, HKPoster 2, HK
Poster 2, HK

Had to technically jaywalk to take this shot but think I got away with it ...
Beware of the stairs, HKBeware of the stairs, HK
Beware of the stairs, HK

Lots of 'Beware Stairs' signs here. This particular 'set' seemed quite harmless but apparently still warranted a bannister!
Victoria Peak, HKVictoria Peak, HK
Victoria Peak, HK

Steve, Hazel and Derek
Wornout, HKWornout, HK
Wornout, HK

This was after a long day walking about HK. For what seemed like hours we seemed to be wandering round malls trying to find somewhere to sit down and have a cuppa. Starbucks turned out to be an unexpected saviour.
Steve & Derek, HKSteve & Derek, HK
Steve & Derek, HK

Ferry ride, Hong Kong Island to Kowloon. Fast, efficient, great view and only 15p!
View from hotel room, HKView from hotel room, HK
View from hotel room, HK

Hazel and Derek's that is, not ours! We can see some dirty laundry and a brick wall.
Day @ the races, HKDay @ the races, HK
Day @ the races, HK

Sha tin racetrack. A fun day out for all the family.


30th January 2006

More blog posts please
I am suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms please post something soon before I write to the Chinese government asking them to locate you. don't they have the interweb out there yet?!
1st February 2006

We like to keep you hungry for more!
The interweb is alive and kicking here, albeit with the great firewall of China. Next blog entry will be with you very shortly, just as soon as we manage to upload some photos.
12th February 2006

D and C
Del and Chooch look really well. How lovely for them to visit you. xx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb