Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
December 25th 2005
Published: December 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hong KongHong KongHong Kong

Hong Kong Island from Kowloon
I found Hong Kong a wonderful city. A contrasting mix of high class designer shops next to Chinese street markets and traditional shops including doctors surgeries open to the street with little more than a curtain for privacy and shelves of potions on display.

Getting accommodation was hard as everywhere seemed to be full of politicians or protestors at the WTO convention. I managed to get rooms at the YMCA and then the YWCA. As soon as I landed and left my bags I rushed to the Indian High Commission to get my visa as it was touch and go if I would get it on time for my flight to India a few days later. This was the start of Indian bureacracy - one queue to get the form another to present the filled form and then come back a few days later to leave your passport which you have to collect back with visa later the same day. Luckily it all worked out.

After Africa Hong Kong was a real breeze. Easy to get around, no hassle to buy, and it felt safe. The waterfront was a lovely place to sit and people watch. The markets were
Hong Kong trafficHong Kong trafficHong Kong traffic

Taxis and shops, Hong Kong
bright and colourful and full of life. The HK people seem as mad on Christmas shopping as people at home. The worst things about HK are the sheer number of people and the crowds and also the smog. Most days the buildings on Hong Kong Island were hazy from the pollution and a thick yellow layer can be seen when you fly out.

I spent one day on a trip to Lantau island to find some peace. The bus climbs up into the mountains to Ngong Ping Po Lin Monastery and the largest outdoor bronze seated Buddha in the world. There was a ceremony going on so there was a riot of colourful dress together with sounds of drums and horns, followed by firecrackers.

The bus then went on to Tai O, a fishing village where you can still see traditional stilted houses. I loved it there and could happily have spent a lot longer than the hour we were allocated.

While in HK I also went to a concert of a Chinese orchestra playing traditional instruments. A lovely evening and the finale was a rendition of Jingle Bells - you just can't get away from Christmas
Buddhist monasteryBuddhist monasteryBuddhist monastery

Buddhist monastery at Ngong Ping Po Lin
anywhere!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

SquidSquid
Squid

Squid drying at Tai O
Tai OTai O
Tai O

Tai O fishing village


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb