Architecture


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
December 29th 2004
Published: December 29th 2004
Edit Blog Post

IFCIFCIFC

One of the tallest buildings in the world, 88 floors, which is the same as the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lampur.
I have found certain themes this trip that catch my eye and require my attention. The buildings of Hong Kong are great, so many of the tallest buildings in the world are here, still I find some of the older buildings even more impressive.

Sometimes I forget where I am, there is a waterfront hillside that could be Italy or Greece, the town square in Macau could be Brazil or Peru. It is all here in the Hong Kong area.

I hope to add to each log as I capture pictures that fit those categories, so check back.

Today I spent most of the day in Kow Loon walking the streets, lots of new sights, more to see tomorrow...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Hong Kong SkylineHong Kong Skyline
Hong Kong Skyline

This is a small part of the Skyline from the Kow Loon side. The view is from the Lobby of the Intercontinental Hotel.
HK Skyline w/ ReflectionHK Skyline w/ Reflection
HK Skyline w/ Reflection

This picture was taken from the Star Ferry (a very efficient way to get from Hong Kong to Kow Loon) as the sun was setting.
Star Ferry dock (Kow Loon)Star Ferry dock (Kow Loon)
Star Ferry dock (Kow Loon)

Here is the dock in Kow Loon, very old with an even older clock tower and right behind is the very modern Hong Kong Culteral center. I love the contrast
Italy? Greece? No!Italy? Greece? No!
Italy? Greece? No!

Just the view from the American Club where we had a delicious Christmas day lunch before heading to Macau.
Macau Town SquareMacau Town Square
Macau Town Square

I could look back from other trips and find this building in Recife, Brazil or Lima, Peru but it is in Macau which was until very recently (1999?) under Portugese control. BTW if you come ot Macau to gamble you better play Baccarat (95% of the tables were Baccarat or some form of it)
Hong Kong SkylineHong Kong Skyline
Hong Kong Skyline

Here is the view from the "Peak" looking at Kowloon. The ride to the top is on a Tram built in 1888.
Bamboo ScafoldingBamboo Scafolding
Bamboo Scafolding

It is amazing how much this is still used even on building projects to the top of buildings this tall and taller.
Lippo CenterLippo Center
Lippo Center

These are the towers of Lippo Center as viewed from Hong Kong park.


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb