Hong Kong - Bright lights & big hangovers


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
February 1st 2008
Published: February 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hong Kong - November 28th to December 2nd

Hong Kong is a great city. After the Chaos in Nepal and India with the crazy roads and random cows everywhere it made a refreshing change to have a bit of 'western culture' for a couple of days. It was also a gentle introduction into China and some of it's 'culinary delights' on offer, ie chicken feet, fish head soup, boiled pigs intestines and a dish with the peculiar name of a thousand year old eggs! All very tempting.

We arrived in Hong Kong in the afternoon and spent the rest of the day wandering around the promenade in Kowloon where there is a hollywood style Avenue of the stars ( although the only Stars we knew were Jackie Chan & Bruce Lee).

We went to one of the night markets one evening where they sell blag everything. It was great and if left to my own devices I would now have 10 more handbags to add to my collection. (This is Gill not Cabbie by the way if you were wondering)

The following day we walked around the city and we were surprised by all the huge Gucci and other designer shops. Afterwards visited the botanical gardens, which is a nice haven in the middle of all the skyscrapers. It was nice to walk around for a few hours and nosy at all the wedding couple getting their photos took.

We took the Steep tram up to Victoria peak that evening, where you get a amazing view of the city. It would have been even better to be up there in summer to enjoy all the outdoor bars and restaurants.

The following day we caught the ferry to Lantau Island to see the Tian Tian Budda statue ( a massive outdoor budda statue) which was really impressive.

As it was our last evening we decided to splash out a bit and we went to a very nice bar at the top of the Sheraton hotel to watch the nightly light show. The following morning we had to get up early to catch the ferry to Maccau. We were quickly regretting 'splashing out' so much the previous night. Hangovers and Ferrys are a very bad combo!!!

We did Love Hong Kong and it's definitely somewhere we will visit again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Splashing out ....Splashing out ....
Splashing out ....

We watched the light show accross the harbour from the Grand Sheraton Hotel with a quality bottle of red
City pic taken from ferryCity pic taken from ferry
City pic taken from ferry

On the way back from Lantau, island which is home of the big fella


1st February 2008

Everton are shit, Spurs are going to Wembley
When are you coming home ?, I'm getting really jealous. I'm hoping that the next blog involves Cabby getting attacked by a group of Shaolin Monks and having to be flown home.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb