Big Rick and The Hendersons


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
July 15th 2007
Published: July 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The last stop. The final frontier. Enter three familiar faces - Mother Henderson, Sister Henderson and the legendary Rick Johnson. A luxury hotel at last... a gym, restaurants, a swimming pool on the roof, hotel staff calling me 'sir'. This is proper backpacking!

For the last five days of my trip, the Henderson women had arranged to come out. Mother H was born in Hong Kong so it was a homecoming of sorts, 50 years on. We searched for her old house up on the peak but they had built some new apartments up there. Never mind, the view from the peak once the clouds had parted was spectacular. It is the cityscape views that Hong Kong does like nowhere else in the world. I haven't seen the Manhattan skyline but surely the nighttime view of Hong Kong island from Kowloon is the world's number one.

For five days we pounded the streets of Hong Kong, sometimes in the rain, smoetimes dripping with sweat but by the end of it we had seen everything we had wanted to and got a real feel for this great place.

The night out with Rick was epic. Drinks, food, drinks, vodka shots in an ice bar, drinks, clubs, dancing on bars in clubs and ultimately a kebab for breakfast and bed at 6am. As we had promised to mother as she staggered into a taxi at 1am we were up in time for sightseeing at 9 that morning. It was one of those nights that goes down in history.

Aberdeen yup, Stanley yup, Kowloon yup, Temple Street night market yup, Star ferry yup, Peak tram yup, shopping yup, diverse culinary experiences yup. We did it all. Hong Kong? Yup!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.406s; Tpl: 0.226s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb