Hong Kong Disney


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
August 19th 2006
Published: August 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today is Nicoles birthday and we spent it at Hong Kong Disney.

Once again, it was bloody hot early (yesterday got to 35 deg and today was no different). The sun here is a bit different to home through. You don't seem to burn anywhere near as quick and the sun itself doesn't seem to have the bite in it. It just gets hot. Don't know if that has anything to do with the pollution haze stopping some of the UV?? Anyway, back to Disney.

The bus took us to Lantau Island where Disney is. It was about a half hour trip. The bus parking area would ahve to be the biggest car park I have seen. It was huge. Heading to the entrance, there was a big water fountain and a statsue of Goofy rising the water as if he was surfing. It all looked pretty cool. There were flagposts lined down each side of the entrance walk (about 800m in all) and each had a flag of a different disney character. Going through the gates was a bit strange. All bags etc were checked for anything that you weren't allowed to take in, and this included bombs (or so the sign said!!)

Once inside, the whole place looked very much like Movie World on the Gold Coast. I guess for someone that hasn't been to a theme park before, the "wow" factor would have been there, but I have been to a few now and it seemed very similar. The shops were good there. Everyone went into them as they all had air conditioning. One thing we wanted to do was the meet and greet with some of the characters. This ended taking about 30 minutes for each person, as the character would only be in costume 10 minutes at a time before leaving and being replaced by someone else. Like Movie World etc, they all had the warnings for waiting times. Some of them were up to an hour long. We weren't that keen.

We went in to see the Lion King show which was absolutely brilliant. It was pretty much a mini musical that lasted about half an hour.

Other than the musical, we wandered around the whole park just browsing and trying to relax (a bit hard with probably 200 000 people minimum there) and ended up making it to the fireworks spectacular which was on at 2100.

That would have to be the best fireworks show I have ever seen. That alone was worth the admission price. I don't think I could rave about that enough, but once that was done, everyone tried to get out at the same time which caused real problems with just the one main entrance. We ended ducking into one of the shops for about half an hour and let the crowd thin out a little bit.

As soon as we got back to the hotel, we crashed again as we had another early start with the Hong Kong Ocean Park and then our 14hr trip to Scotland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb