25 July 2011


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
July 27th 2011
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Woke at 7am, not bad considering no sleep the night before and it is currently midnight in the UK. Loaded up photos onto notebook.
Eryl woke about 7.45, but Tux gets the prize for being up first around 7 and went for a swim in the pool.

After breakfast we took the Star Ferry across to Kowloon Island. Ferry was very cheap at less than £2 and hardly any hanging around before if departed. Took less than 10 minutes. In 34C heat we then walked a fair bit, initially using covered raised walkway that go everywhere and then a series of escalators that take you up the steep hill. We stopped off to look at the Staunton Street area which had been mentioned by Ssue Tunstall. Very quiet when we visited but imagine in the evening it is very bustling as every building is a different eating or drinking establishment.

Then took escalator up to the top level it goes, hoping for a view, but it was still very built up with what looked like upmarket flats. The walked to Lan Kwai Fong area, again suggested by Sue and located the Hard Rock Café. Very friendly here and they ended up taking our photo behind the bar! Tux was also able to buy his glass their to add to his collection.

After a few beers we then walked to the Peak Tram terminus and travelled up to the top, where the views were stunning of Hong Kong below. Travelled back down on the tram where all bar Stephanie and Tux caught a taxi to the ferry terminal and then back to the hotel. Stephanie and Tux were going to walk back.

Despite the heat, I thought I had better wear my jacket and OF tie this evening! The Concierge desk at our hotel had advised us not to get a taxi directly from our hotel to the Sugar Bar as the tunnel across to Kowloon at that time was always blocked up with traffic. We therefore left the hotel at 5.30 and walked in the heat to the Star Ferry, travelled across and then caught a taxi on the island.

We arrived on time at 6.30pm and everyone we bumped into in the hotel seemed to know we were coming! Ian was already there and we had some drinks and tasty “nibbles”. A couple of those expected to be there had had to cry off due to last minute business commitments, including the OF I was at school with who featured in the Theo Phaphitis TV programme. Chris Hall, who I had met at the London Supper only a couple of weeks ago popped in but had a dinner meeting. He’s the OF who has a world renowned collection of ancient silks. In fact he had with him a silk that he had bought that day! It was about a yard square and 700 years old. He’d paid about US$30,000 for it. He said his passions for silk constantly kept him in debt, but I doubt it given his immaculate attire.

As Chris left Brian arrived. He is the OF who is MD of the hotel chain. He knew he was important, as did all his staff!! The level of attention we were getting was ridiculous! Brian told us about the block of 24 small studio flats that he had recently each sold for US$2m. Brian’s family had arrived from England that day so left as we were about to go down for dinner in his restaurant at 8pm. Before he left hee said he would pick up the drinks and nibbles tab we had run up! Before going down I gave Ian his socks (he chose striped version) as a thank you and passed across 2 copies of the Norman Borrett book.

As we went down to dinner we again got huge attention. On arriving in restaurant and without even saying who we were, we were asked if we had enjoyed our drinks in Sugar Bar! We were shown to best table in restaurant that gave a fascinating view into the kitchen. Both Ian and Brian had recommended us to have the Tomohork Steak that was for 2 to share and to have the huge prawns. The prawns came first and were huge. 5 of us shared 3 portions. The steaks came attached to the end of a large rib and were very impressive and tasty. We shared a couple of desserts but were pretty full. All washed down with some Pinor Noir from NZ and Chardonnay from Australia. Final bill was huge! The waiters were very helpful with advise about what to do on Tuesday. A couple of taxis were organised and we went directly home at that time of night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb