Hong Kong, China Day 2


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
March 11th 2010
Published: April 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hong Kong from Our BalconyHong Kong from Our BalconyHong Kong from Our Balcony

This morning offered a nice view of the cityscape from our balcony. a
After a great first day in Hong Kong, we arose early to go on our 7-hour Lantau Island Monastery tour. After departing the pier for the drive to Lantau Island, Hong Kong’s largest outlying island, we took the Tai Lam Tunnel to the Ting Kau Bridge and made a stop at the Tsing Yi Island viewing platform. There were outstanding views and photo opportunities of the island and the Tsing Ma Bridge, the world’s longest road and rail suspension bridge. It is over a mile long and links the new airport on Lantau Island to the Kowloon Peninsula. From there we also see the Ting Kau Bridge, which connects Kowloon and Hong Kong Island to Tsing Yi Island. These are both amazing structures.

The suspension cable of the Tsing Ma Bridge was erected by the method called aerial spinning process. It took some nine months to lay the 26,700 tons of wire, working 24 hour a day. It was designed to last 120 years and was opened to traffic in May 1997. The Ting Kau Bridge took 44 months to build and was opened to traffic in May 1998.

After crossing the Tsing Ma Bridge, we arrived on Lantau
Lantau Island and Tsing Ma BridgeLantau Island and Tsing Ma BridgeLantau Island and Tsing Ma Bridge

Hong Kong's largest island in the background and the Tsing Ma Bridge taking you there.
Island at Tung Chung New Town, a modern part of the island. We made a quick stop at one of their beaches. Then one of our coolest stops was the Tai O fishing village, built on stilts by the side of the river, and the center of Hong Kong’s salt panning industry for 100 years. It was another glimpse of the old world, where we saw the lives of local people and some of their fishing trade. It reminded us of Zhujiajiao, the canal city outside Shanghai. It is referred to as the Venice of Hong Kong. It was damaged by typhoon Hagupit in 2008 and there was a major fire in 2000. The village was under temporary control by the Portuguese after 1949 and was a major point of entry for fleeing Chinese.

Following that, we traveled through beautiful mountain scenery to Ngong Ping Village and the Po Lin Monastery, the hub of Buddhism in Hong Kong. Po Lin houses three magnificent statues of Buddha, including Asia’s largest outdoor bronze Buddha, towering 112 feet overhead on his lotus throne, and weighing 2,800 pounds. We climbed the 268 stairs up to the giant Buddha. It was worth every step!
The Tsing Ma BridgeThe Tsing Ma BridgeThe Tsing Ma Bridge

This amazing structure is over a mile long and is the longest road and rail suspension bridge in the world. It was opened in May 1997 and links the island of Lantau with the Kowloon Peninsula.


Then we were treated to a vegetarian lunch at the monastery. After lunch we got a real treat…a 30-minute cable car ride on the Ngong Ping Cable Car that took us back to the town of Tung Chung. The views were absolutely fabulous! Too bad this excursion had to end, but the day wasn’t over yet. We enjoyed dinner at Nobu so much last night that we had made reservations to return tonight. We had another outstanding window-table dinner and enjoyed a repeat of the Victoria Harbor 8:00 light show.



Additional photos below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Happy TravelersThe Happy Travelers
The Happy Travelers

Here we are with Lantau Island and the Tsing Ma Bridge in the background.
Cargo ShipCargo Ship
Cargo Ship

This large cargo ship navigates the Rambler Channel with Lantau Island in the left background.
Ting Kau BridgeTing Kau Bridge
Ting Kau Bridge

This bridge provides the crucial link between the Tai Lam Tunnel that comes out of Hong Kong and the island of Tsing Yi, where we are, and then connects to the Tsing Ma Bridge going to Lantau Island.
Upper Cheung Sha BeachUpper Cheung Sha Beach
Upper Cheung Sha Beach

On Lantau Island, our first stop was a long sandy beach. This island is very big on recreation and is a place where folks from the crowded city come for relaxation...kind of like the Monterey Peninsula. This is a swimming beach. The large yellow and black cable going from the beach into the water is the shark net to protect the swimmers.
Sea Glass?Sea Glass?
Sea Glass?

Annette is scouring the beach for some bits of sea glass...no luck. They do keep the beach immaculate. Actually, they have to bring in much of the sand.
Littering?Littering?
Littering?

They take their littering seriously!
Restrictions?Restrictions?
Restrictions?

And they take their beach restrictions seriously too.
Prison!Prison!
Prison!

You don't go here for littering on the beach, but this is one of their maximum security prisons...not too far from the beach.
MonasteryMonastery
Monastery

As we drove along, our guide pointed out this monastery up on the hill.
Tai O MarketTai O Market
Tai O Market

This is the Tai O fishing village, once the center of Hong Kong's sea salt panning industry for 100 years.
Colorful Fishing VillageColorful Fishing Village
Colorful Fishing Village

Really neat stop!
Fun Graffiti!Fun Graffiti!
Fun Graffiti!

Colorful painting and classic fishing boats in the harbor.
Some of Their CatchSome of Their Catch
Some of Their Catch

Not too sure what's hanging here...something that's dried and bagged fish.
Eels Anyone?Eels Anyone?
Eels Anyone?

You can buy these alive and fresh.
Bridge to the Village and MarketBridge to the Village and Market
Bridge to the Village and Market

Annette on the bridge over the canal as we go into the village.
Welcome to Tai OWelcome to Tai O
Welcome to Tai O

Across the bridge is their welcome sign with Main Street behind it.
Built on StiltsBuilt on Stilts
Built on Stilts

Another one of these quaint towns/villages that has homes built on stilts.
The CanalThe Canal
The Canal

The canal that we had to cross over the bridge.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb