Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
March 14th 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Grand China

Starting in Kowloon, Hong Kong travelling via Shenzhen and Guilin to Yangshuo. Flight from Guilin to Chengdu. Train to Chongqing to board river cruise. Bus from three gorges dam to Wuhan for flight to Xi,an. Flight to Hanzhou. Train to Shanghai. Train to Beijing.

Hong Kong IslandHong Kong IslandHong Kong Island

View from Kowloon

Day 1-2 (March 14-16)



Arriving in Hong Kong after a five hour very comfortable flight and a one hour time zone change, I was met the airport as this trip had a transfer included. Getting into a fairly plush car and being driven to the hotel was great. I was able to see all the lights of Hong Kong along the way. The high rise buildings didn’t seem to have an end. My Hotel was on the Kowloon side in Tsim Sha Tsui.


After a good nights sleep I set out to explore. The harbour front had a great boardwalk looking over the magnificent Victoria harbour. It includes the Hong Kong avenue of stars of which I only recognised Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee.


The harbour is very like Sydney including the ferries. A short trip to the other side (Hong Kong Island) on the very cheap star ferry (2.50 HKD which is about 50 cents) and a chance to explore.


Hong Kong uses double decker buses and on Hong Kong island they also have double decker trams. After a good stroll through streets and overpasses I found my way to the scenic and steep Peak tram that takes you up to the top of the island to get 360 views. If only there was some blue sky, but the haze was not too bad and the view is great even if not so clear.


The following day I met a fellow tour member (who coincidently worked in the London office of ANZ as a graduate) and we set out to Lantau island on a half hour ferry trip and then an hour via bus. The main attraction here is the largest sitting bronze buddha on top of a mountain (or it was until recently). The entry to their museum included a sampling of vegetarian dishes.


We made it back to the hotel just a little late where we met the rest of the group and then we went out for a Hong Kong meal. There are only six of us and the tour leader (5 of the 6 of us have various roles in the finance industry!). All the others travelers are from England. The two English couples are also doing long trips. One couple are 9 months into a 10 month trip. The other couple are two months into a 9 month trip. Both couples are off to Japan next so I have been able to share a few hilights.


Our tour leader is from Beijing and studied in Australia for two years at Monash. She met an Australian and they plan to marry next year (I call her an honorary Aussie as she has so many Australian traits already).


A few days in Hong Kong is sufficient for me and I am looking forward to getting out into the countryside. Big cities are great if you like shopping but for me a little is enough. So next stop the Chinese Mainland.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Hong Kong BuilingsHong Kong Builings
Hong Kong Builings

From Victoria Peak
Big BuddhaBig Buddha
Big Buddha

side view


Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb