Day 3 - Jan 1, 2007 - NY Day - Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
January 1st 2007
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

10am and we’re out the door - yes - even Jay!! Somehow we’ve all managed to shrug off our hangovers and we cruise across the skybridge to have some breakfast at a little French bakery (DeliFrance) nearby. Yummmm croquet monsiuere (sp?)

Jump on the MTR - two connections and three trains later we’re in the north of HK at Sha-Tin Station. Today’s destination is the Monastery of 10,000 Buddhas. It should be called the monastery of 10,000 steps because that’s what over 400 steps feels like.. yes mom I climbed over 400 steps - be proud of me!!! The steps are lined with big life-sized buddhas…the plaster being adorned in a bright gold color. Each one is in a different position with a different face - pretty amazing. I’m wondering why they call it the Monastery of 10,000… until I reach the temple at the top. There, inside the temple, are thousands upon thousands (probably 10,000) little 6 inch gold Buddha statues on shelf after shelf going all the way to the ceiling of this temple… amazing. Also, the embalmed body of Rev Yuet Kai (founding monk) has been entombed in gold and lays resting in the temple forever… how nice…. Ewww??? (Sorry - I’m not Buddhist.. I don’t totally get it - but the thought seems nice.) The temple grounds are..once again.. amazing … and the bean curd dessert Jay ordered from the ladies selling food was really nice. Yummm..

Down the hill again.. taking the back steps this time we stumble onto a woman selling honey and bee pollen from a local bee farmer (is that what they call him??). Karl and I buy some bee pollen and we’re back on the train heading back to Kowloon. What better time than when I’m a big ball of sweat with no makeup and ugly walking clothes on to stumble into both the Sheraton Grand and the Peninsula hotel for a drink. God I look horrible - oh well - I won’t ever see these people again and I must look okay because they didn’t fully turn me away at the door. Pricey drinks, a lovely sunset and a cool restroom with views of the city later(thanks for the tip Sharon) .. we take the Star Ferry back across the harbor and go freshen up for what will be our best meal yet.

The Lonely Planet Guide hasn’t steered us wrong yet - and this recommend is tops. Its called Peking Dumpling and Noodle House - its near our hotel - its cheap and its goooooooood!!! We wolf down dumplings and noodles like we haven’t eaten in days. Ahhh - now this is Hong Kong!!!!!!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb