Suits you sir - last day in HK


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
November 7th 2006
Published: November 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Forgot to say yesterday - we went to a random Tea Appreciation Class as well - another special HK$0 trip by the tourist board! We basically sat and drank about 4 litres of cold tea for an hour whilst being educated by a lovely Chinese lady who was mad for the green stuff.

I also am still regretting giving money to a guy we met in the street on Saturday. I don't know wether I gave 3.5p to a charity or if I managed to join the Communist party in a flash.

This morning we took it easy - Clare went down the Chinese laundry and washed my pants!

For lunch we took the Ferry over to Central to find a proper Dim Sum restaurant - one of the last things on our checklist. After a bit of searching near Queens Pier (the Star Ferry terminal in Central) we found Maxims Dim Sum Restaurant on the 3rd floor of the City Hall in Edinburgh Place. It was basically like a converted English Ball room, with loads of wedding tables laid out under huge chandeliers. The view back across the harbour to Kowloon was great. On sitting down we were assaulted by 6 raving loony Chinese granny's with food trolleys. How could I turn them all down? Clare and I basically became the bank that likes to say yes and ended up with dozens of dishes of random food - from Octopus tentacles to wontons to spring rolls. Stuff just kept turning up half an hour later that I didn't even realise we had ordered. We probably hand't ordered them, they just obviously took us for the minted western backpackers we are! We left after washing up about 400 dishes in the kitchen.

Anyway, we managed to survive the experience and waddle around Central for a bit before heading back over to Tsim Sha Tsui on the ferry.

We then headed back to Sam's the Tailors for our suit fittings. Google it - everyone from Bill Clinton to the Pope has had suits made by Sam's. A bespoke suit is roughly 200GBP - you'd pay 1000GBP for that in London these days. The suits fit great - but the waists had to be adjusted by a few inches following lunch! We are just grabbing a coffee on the harbour and poncing some free internet before heading back to the hotel in preparation of a long day tomorrow - culminating in us arriving in Penang, Malaysia.

Apologies for no photographs - we haven't been able to use a USB port anywhere yet.

Final thoughts on HK:

So futuristic and modern - huge swathes of the Central and Wan Chai area are even more modern than Canary Wharf
Such a Clean, Hygienic orientated City - much cleaner than anywhere in the UK.
Awesome Food - generally very cheap - everywhere smells great (like the China Garden in Brigg)
Everyone is nearly as short as Clare's Mum here and my gran. I have to keep ducking under stuff.



Advertisement



7th November 2006

hotmail
sign me up as a hotmail buddy and we can chat if were online amandajsimpson@hotmail.com xxx
7th November 2006

HK sounds great
Loving reading your journal. It sounds like you have started your travels in style at a 'hostel' and buying suits! I'm so pleased you are both loving it! Look forward to hearing more. Charlotte xxx
8th November 2006

Hi Guys hope you both have a safe journey. Can’t wait to read all about your next adventure Xxx Love You Lots Nicky

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb