Hong Kong - a cold shower's welcome any time!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
May 16th 2011
Published: May 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well that 11.5 hour flight from Auckland wasn't too bad at all, arrived in fairly good shape at around 6.45 a.m. local time, breezed through the formalities at the airport then got on the right bus (eventually) to downtown Hong Kong Island. Of course we had to have the front seats on the upper level of the bus (just like being a child again)! The airport is now in a very different place to when I was last here, a separate island joined to the rest of HK by several causeways/suspension bridges - so a very impressive journey to our hotel (which is absolutely fine but the room is a little smaller than it appears on the net!).

We were able to check in straight away - luxury! But eager not to waste a minute we pretty much headed straight back out again, walking for hours around Sheung Wan and Central, through streets lined with dried fish, ginseng, sharks fin and birds nests! In Graham Street market we saw live frogs freshly dead fish, so fresh that the heart is still pumping whilst on display to the world! We visited an amazing little gallery that had incredible paintings from Vietnamese artists. We had dim sum and Chinese tea at the local market, really tasty and hugely inexpensive.

It's been incredibly hot and humid, but also very wet in the afternoon, raining on and off for most of the time. So the first few photos may be a bit hazy - and I still need to work out how to upload them!

We visited the 43rd floor viewing gallery in the Bank of China Tower and the 55th floor in the Two IFC building - both free, both with amazing views of the surrounding skyscrapers and hills.

Now we're just back from dinner and sharing a cold Tsing Tao or 2. So far so good! It really is great to be on firm ground, and back in Asia.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb