going backwards-our first 2 days


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
January 8th 2008
Published: January 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On our way-sydney airportOn our way-sydney airportOn our way-sydney airport

Here we are, about to board, Shan is off to Japan & us to HK
Well, I have done all this on travelpod, but now can't access it, so will start again here.
As you all know I am an early riser, so I am doing this while the other 2 are sleeping.
TUESDAY 8TH JANAURY 2008.
Our adventure begins. Up at 5am to get organised and head off to Springwood to catch the coach to the airport with Shannon's school who are heading to Japan just 5 minutes after us.
We had a great trip and arrived at SIA at 8.50. What a surprise we got, Maureen & Joyce were both there to see us off. I couldn't believe my eyes, what great sisters I have. They left home at 6.15 & caught 3 buses to get there.
We had a huge wait to check in then off the McD for some brecky, too scared to have too much in case it came up again! I have my sea sick bands on, have taken my ginger tablets & used the homeopathic drops! Here's hoping!
We have side seats, row 63. The plane is 30 minutes late taking off.
What a trip! We have so much turbulence. At one stage we do a huge drop and
The LongreachThe LongreachThe Longreach

This is our plane, Qantas QF127 departing 11.55 8th January 2008
shake & everyone screams & we wait for another. It was a very rocky trip & I am so happy I didn't puke!
Arrived at HKIA and our driver Herbert was waiting for us in the merc. He was fabulous, gave us great commentary on the 40 minute trip to the hotel. It is around 6.30 and the lights are on and HK is looking spectacular.
Our rooms at the hotel are wonderful. We have a parlour suite, 2 rooms, 2 TV's, bathroom & powder room. Even have phones in both bathrooms. I have pickies to show everyone. Open up the blinds and WOW!!!!!! We are on the 25th floor and overlook the harbour.
We went looking for something for dinner, most places only had chinese menus in the windows, we finally found one that had english. We didn't want to venture too far in the dark as we wanted to get back to the hotel! The food was nice but we think we got ripped off, we couldn't check the bill but think we paid way too much.
Can't sleep at all, I thought I would be so tired. Went to bed 1.30 and got up again at 3.30.
first meal in HKfirst meal in HKfirst meal in HK

WE found a restaurant, Viking Seafood near the hotel


WEDNESDAY 9TH JANUARY 2008:
Today we wanted to head off and see Kowloon and do some shopping.
We had breakfast at the hotel which was wonderful.
We purchased our sim cards and our octopus card.
Tin Hau station is just accross from the hotel. Their entire network is underground. An octopus card is a stored value card and can be used on buses, ferries, trains, in convenience stores and even McDonalds!
You don't even need to take it out of you purse or wallet, put it on the reader and there you go, so convenient, no need for small change.
We find our way to Fa Yuen Street in Prince Edward. Just after getting off the train we stop to look at the map and within a few seconds a local was asking if we needed help. There is a market here and then it becomes what is known as Sportswear Street. Finally found a pair of cool pink nikes for Shannon. Wait til you see the photos of this area.
We split up as Erin likes to look at different things to us. Unfortunately we have the map and we have to rescue her. Lucky for the sim
our viewour viewour view

This is what we wake up to each day, absolutely beautiful
cards we bought!
We are getting hungry so find a little restaurant (well 3 tables, not really a restaurant) & decide to have some BBQ meats, you know the red ones hanging up in the shop. Our waitress couldn't speak English, so once again a local comes to help. The people here are so willing to help. The food is really nice and very reasonable.
Off to what is known as the ladies market. A HUGE market, not just for ladies. I had read you have to bargain starting off around half of what they are asking. Bought a afew things and had fun. I had split up from Ratko (he went to electronics street) and Erin and we agreed to meet at 4pm. We found each other and off we went.
All dieing to go to the loo and guess what we found? A McCafe with loos! Had a coffee and then onto the MTR back to the hotel, I still can't believe how easy this place is to get around.
We are all really tired, so decide to have dinner in the hotel. The buffet was wonderful with a huge variety of food, the staff wonderful too.
Our
ladies market, MongKokladies market, MongKokladies market, MongKok

wonderful market, spent plenty of money here:-)
first full day in Hong Kong over.
We decided to go to Macau on Thursday-we didn't know to expect the fog we would wake up to.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

hong kong islandhong kong island
hong kong island

This is taken from the Star Ferry, late in the day of Hong Kong Island


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb