leaving Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
July 2nd 2005
Published: July 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Hong Kong and getting ready to leave tomorrow by plane for Chengdu. The past few days we have been exploring Hong Kong and spending a lot of time at family functions, some of which had over 40 people. We attended a high school graduation in which my (Jeff) grandfather spoke and they honored his brother. It was great to meet some of the students and to see a bit of what their school life was like, hear their school band play, feel their excitment about moving forward, and listen to their appreciation for those who had helped them to do so. We also went to a hospital to see a heart and stroke center that my family has been involved with, and I got an ultrasound of my intracranial arteries, exposing the sights and sounds of my bloodflow. No apparent clots! We also visited the grave sight of my great grandmother and great grandfather at a buddhist cemetery. On our final day (today) we took the tram to the peak in Hong Kong and walked in a loop around part of the peak. It took about an hour and had spectacular views of the island, the bay, and the mainland. We saw large black kites (bird of prey) that soar around the mountain tops and many other birds, saw some of the 107 (!) types of dragonflys and damselflys that live in Hong Kong, read interesting facts about the flora and fauna of the island such as the one previously mentioned, saw some huge Indian Rubber Trees, and saw many cute dogs and children. In the afternoon we saw Batman Begins - excellent. We leave my (Jeff) family tomorrow and are heading off on our own. Peace!
Jeff and Kaley


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



5th July 2005

nice
Congrats on the results of your ultrasound. It looks like you guys are having such a great time. I'm really happy for you. Question: what is the McCafe? Is it actually operated by McD's or named similarly in the way that you can buy shirts in HK mfd. by 'adiadas' and 'poma'? I like that you can get all that knockoff stuff there. But you guys are probably travelling light since you have so much further to go (plus I seem to remember you weighing everything you took to Europe before that trip). Anyways, we missed you at the crushing yesterday. Jamal blew up a corolla this year and crushed a Mercury cougar. I got the emblem off the wreckage! And the Hoebers hosted a great BBQ on Saturday at which you were missed as well. But its cool. You are doing great things right now! Be well.
7th July 2005

Wow guys, looks like the adventure of a lifetime! Hope you're taking as many pictures as you can, we can't wait to come out and see them. After explaining to Ella what the Great Wall is, she can't wait to go walk it all. Love you, Nellie
8th July 2005

big ups
Hey guys, I didn't know you had the blog going because I never check friendster but Andy told me and I got caught up today. Looks like y'all are having a pretty awesome trip. Glad you got to see the Shaolin Monks! Say Hi to Bucket for me and Katie and get some good pictures... See you in a few more weeks. enjoy...

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb