Did I say rugby heads?


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
March 18th 2005
Published: June 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hong Kong Sevens

Now that we had had a practice run at the Manila 10s, we felt sure that we were ready to take the infamous Sevens by storm.

This weekend rates as one of the best in my life. We had absolutely perfect weather, not a cloud in the sky. Stashing hipflasks down our pants and applying our most innocent expressions (Kate means pure) we waltzed into the stadium grounds unscathed. It was only 9.30am but already the crowd was building. We scanned the area and headed straight for the most festive area, the South Stand.

The South Stand is famous amongst rugby heads and other Seven’s supporters like ourselves. It is where all the madness begins, and the tournament would not be the same without it.

We quickly located a group of fun loving Irish guys and got comfortable, only to discover that they had already been celebrating for 24 hours due to the warm up 10s games and St Patrick’s Day. Perfect. Keep those NZ$35 jugs of beer coming. A few hours later Sarah used her highly tuned Massey skills to come to the rescue of one on the boys who elegantly comered while walking down the steps.

The weekend continued in a very similar vein, with lots of late night partying and days full of craziness. On day three we found ourselves seated with a Kiwi contingent and, by the New Zealand law of two degrees of separation, discovered that we knew about half of them.

Aside from the rugby we also experienced some of the finer things Hong Kong had to offer - enjoying a drink and desert at the Philippe Stark designed bar while we took in the views from the top of the Peninsula Hotel, being surrounded by neon when we caught the ferry across the harbour, strolling through beautiful gardens in the city centre, visiting a tea museum and of course, a touch of shopping.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



17th November 2005

Man I'm Famous!!
Well i'm the freindly Irish guy in the pink t shirt and the green hat! Maa that was some serious session! a total of 42 hours drinking!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb