Day trip to Gori - Stalin's home town


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia » Southern Georgia » Gori
June 20th 2018
Published: July 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

The minibus dropped us outside the Stalin Museum in Gori. After a surprisingly good coffee in a street stall opposite the museum, we joined on the back of a and English tour group to be shown around the museum. Our guide was quite factual, rather than promoting one side. The upper floor has many images of Stalin through his life, including his death mask. There are also cabinets full of gifts from around the world. Downstairs is a smaller display giving a glimpse of the harsher side of his role in history. For a small extra fee there is his bullet proof train to look around. Our guide was quite balanced telling us throughout that there’s the official and many other versions of the stories around Stalin. Many Georgian families were affected by family members being sent away to Siberia or disappeared and there's been work on trying to trace back members of families who were lost. IT was worth visiting and gives an eye on a key player in 20th century history.

Other than the museum there’s the remains of a fortress up a hill with views over the city.

There’s an area between the museum, fortress and bus station that has been tidied up to look pretty and historical but it is full of second hand clothing shops.



Where to stay:Tblisi, Boutique Hotel

How to get there: minibus from Didube bus station, 1hour, 5 Lari each.

Museum entrance: 10 Lari + 5 to look around the train.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb