Luoguantai and pandas


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 21st 2006
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 33.9184, 108.719

The highlight of this job is the panda conservation project and sometimes I have the very difficult job of visiting it! The project is set in absolutely stunning scenery, at the base of green mountains dotted with magical countryside huts. The government wrote this area off as 'too poor' for foreigners but in reality a foreigner couldn't see a better side of China than this place! It's a bit of a step trek up the mountains but well worth it. It's also possible to ride a horse up but I trust my trusty walking boots more than a possibly tempermental horsey!

Panda conservation is amazing especially in the morning before the pandas take to their usual slumber positions. I was accompanying Mark, a visiting journalist from the Telegraph and got the chance to experience the project first-hand. Lucky me got to spend the whole morning cleaning out golden takin! Absolutely beautiful animals but unbelievably messy. I shall never complain about cleaning out guinea-pigs again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Big Nose!Big Nose!
Big Nose!

One of my friendly takin
Yang YangYang Yang
Yang Yang

Yang Yang was born at the centre and their favourite success story. He's a lovely character and full of fun especially before his 10.30am feeding after which it's just too much effort to move!


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb