Worlds Tallest Outdoor Seated Bronze Buddha


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 6th 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.2787, 113.943

We caught a train this morning, then a 'Gondola Lift' up to see the big buddha. They have to add so many words to the title so it will qualify as 'the best'. You can't just say outdoor buddha or sitting budda as there are others of those in the world. So this one is the 'worlds TALLEST OUTDOOR BRONZE SEATED buddha!!!!

The statue is named Tian Tan Buddha It is one of five large Buddha statues in China. The Buddha statue sits on a lotus throne on top of a three-platform altar. It is surrounded by six smaller bronze statues known as "The Offering of the Six Devas" and are posed offering flowers, incense, lamp, ointment, fruit, and music to the Buddha. These offerings symbolize charity, morality, patience, zeal, meditation, and wisdom, all of which are necessary to enter into nirvana.

The Buddha is 34 metres (112 ft) tall, weighs 250 metric tons and was the world's tallest outdoor bronze seated Buddha prior to 2007. We all climbed the 270 steps to get to the Buddha.

Back down the stairs then Melissa and I went and looked at the monastery. Andy and the girls had already seen it on a previous
trip so they sat and enjoyed a break!

As we walked back to the Gondola Lift we passed through the VERY touristy village – Uncle Andy said when he first saw the Buddha a year or many back, they had none of this, but, since heaps of tourists go there each day this village has sprung up.

Since we were at the 'world's largest outdoor' Buddha, the girls decided to try to eat the World's Largest Pinkest, Tallest, Outdoor, On-a-Stick' Fairy Floss. It was amazing!! You need to look at the pics to believe me!!!

We caught the gondola back down. This time the girls decided to lie on the glass floor of the gondola and pretend to fly. As we 'flew' over the walking track and passed people, I would yell out so they could look up and see the girls lying there! Got a few funny looks but most people waved.

We had subway for lunch before heading back.

We split up for dinner. Mel and I headed to ‘The Spaghetti House' to eat. It's a restaurant set up by a Aussie. Mel had a lasagne and I had a risotto. With chips, garlic bread and 2 soft drinks it cost about $AUD40.00 – not that cheap and not that nice. It wasn't bad but we did expect it to taste a bit better! A McDonalds double choc sundae finished off the day beautifully!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb