In Hong Kong and still watching AFL !!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 3rd 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.295, 114.171

We had breaky in room this morning. We had brought cereal from Australia here (although we could have bought the same brands in the supermarket here) and had bought a carton of Pura longlife milk yesterday to have with it.

We met Uncle Andy and girls at the lift and headed out. We walked along the streets and alleys near the hotel. Uncle Andy went into a shop to buy sneakers for the girls then we went into an Australian watch shop!!

Mel and I stayed out shopping while the others headed back to the hotel room to watch the footy on pay TV (30 minute delay) , listen to it on the radio (live) as well as having it on the internet.

We bought a necklace for me after going into quite a few shops. It doesn't matter whether you are in the market or a jewellery shop. You are the first customer for the day – you give me luck! Michael (who served us where we chose the necklace) did explain that in Chinese tradition, the first customer for the day is meant to bring luck that you will get a lot more customers for the day. It always amazes me - he (like so many here and in Malaysia) knew that we were from Australia. He also knew the approx exchange rate and gave us the Aussie price for the items we were looking at.

We made our way back to Andy's hotel room for a very depressing game – the Pies forgot to play!! How they won, we do not know. Uncle Andy and Elyse went out to get Maccas for lunch for everyone during the third quarter.

After the game finished on the radio, we watched the last 30 minutes on TV.

We headed out after the footy, catching the train, to The Hong Kong Museum of History. It explained both how the earth was made (volcanos/floods/sea floor/coral/etc) and how Hong Kong came to be. It explained prehistoric Hong Kong, The Dynasties, Folk Culture, Opium Wars and the cession of Hong Kong, the birth and early growth, the Japanese occupation and the modern Hong Kong and its return to China. Uncle Andy and Mum found it very interested – us girls - not so much.

We caught a taxi from there to the night market and ate a really nice meal at a restaurant – well, restaurant is probably a 'too fancy' word! It was located on two sides of a road – one called 'Temple Street Spicy Crab' and the other 'Temple Street Spice Crab'. The tables are both undercover and out in the open. The plastic stools are balanced on the uneven road and footpath. Each table has a roll of toilet paper on it. This is used as serviettes for the customers as well as cloths to wipe the tables down with. We ordered 5 dishes but only 4 were written down! Despite the look of the place, the food was really nice. We had spring rolls, bok choy & beef, fried rice and noodles.

We then wandered the Temple Street Market – definitely something you need to do a couple of times when in Hong Kong, writing down the prices of items and working out exactly what you want and comparing the items between stalls. Everyone has a wonderful time bartering for items – some they win and make the purchase and others they lose – all the fun on an Asian Market!

We went to the train station and all went through the turnstiles – well, all except Mel whose card had gone missing. It was the time that the mobile phones paid off. The others had run ahead, so we were able to stay in contact so they knew what had happened and that it was still OK for them to catch the train – we would purchase a ticket and meet the at the hotel. It was also great that they could ring me to see if we wanted dessert from Maccas!!!!!! Mel made her way to the ticket machine and purchased a ticket while I waited on the inside of the barrier. Once we were back at the hotel, we watched the light and sound show (listening into the clock radio). Something to definitely watch when in Hong Kong. It s amazing to watch all the different lights and lazer lights and spot lights come alive to music. They go up and down the walls and windows of the buildings, around the buildings, shine from the tops of buildings. Some look like the whole building is glowing red then yellow then blue whilst others just have the outline of the building in lights.

I left Mel playing with the girls while I went to do some washing in laundrette. I purchased the tokens but was told it was closed, so I will be down there early tomorrow morning. I cleaned the room instead. Mel wandered back about 9 and we lay in or on our beds writing this.

Another day in Hong Kong has finished.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



5th April 2010

Wow, You all ate in Temple Street! I am impressed.hope the sneakers were comfortable & have good soles - I'm trying to finish mine off so I can buy some new ones later in the year!xxxto you all

Tot: 0.585s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb