Li River Cruise


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
May 6th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Cruising...Cruising...Cruising...

Our guide Tony. An engineer third officer on ocean ships until his marriage and a more stable life as a tour guide.
Geo: 24.8466, 110.281

Today a four-hour, 83km cruise down the river to Yangshuo. Dramatic limestone scenery and verdant hills. Very hazy, but the sun peeked through from time to time.

In the afternoon we visited a farmer's house and spoke with the family. Their family had lived there for 14 generations. Their ancestor had done a great service for the Qing Emperor and was granted the right to use the imperial symbols, the dragon and the phoenix, at his house.

In the evening we had a special dinner (not so great) and then watched a massive light and water show on the Li River. It was a spectacle but hard to get too enthusiastic as there was no narrative and all the singing was in Chinese. The show designer went on to produce the Olympic Opening Ceremony.

I have found the food OK but not terrific. Perhaps because we are often ordering dishes that we are not familiar with. Generally the hotel breakfasts are the best because they offer a Chinese and Western buffet, and you can see what you get.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Cruise boatCruise boat
Cruise boat

Comfortable 75 pax boat. It was like a discount airline. Every half hour or so they tried to sell you something new. Snacks, drinks, books, DVDs, etc. Not so insistent as in the markets, though.
Nine Horse Mountain.Nine Horse Mountain.
Nine Horse Mountain.

The fast flowing river eventually joins the Yangtze and Pearl Rivers and empties into the South China Sea.
Yangshuo Farmer's HouseYangshuo Farmer's House
Yangshuo Farmer's House

A soy bean grinder used to make tofu, among other things.
Li tributaryLi tributary
Li tributary

A pretty spot with a calmer waterway, suitable for pleasure boating. Robyn's very pleased with her Angry Birds, Ray Ban sunnies.


10th May 2014

Nice happy snap. What are the other floating vessels? Locals or tourists? Hear your comment about the foods not knowing what your're eating and what to order leaves you wanting. Guess you can't avoid the badgering to purchase tourist items,
but it does detract if too often and too insistent.
10th May 2014

another good one
10th May 2014

A lovely shot indeed and now I see the other "VESSELS" . Hmmmm perhaps not for me. Yep Robbydob, you look real chic, good purchase.

Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb