Guilin, limestone country


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
May 5th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sheraton GuilinSheraton GuilinSheraton Guilin

Impressive atrium, but the hotel is in need of an upgrade.
Geo: 25.2767, 110.295

Flew in last night from Xi'an. After check-in we had a short walk and a couple of drinks in the vicinity of the hotel.

According to our guide Tony, Guilin has a population of 700,000 that is planned to grow to 1.2M, in five years! The local farmers are being progressively asked to return their land to the Govt for the expansion. They get a condo in return and a job in tourism. In China all land is owned by the Govt. People "buy" property on a 70-year lease.

Today we saw the Reed Flute Cave (exceptional), Guilin's signature Elephant Trunk Hill (disappointing), a park and a tea plantation visit (fascinating).

A hoot at the nibbling fish, and a pretty walk along the river bank.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Reed Flute CaveReed Flute Cave
Reed Flute Cave

A terrific cave where the highlight was a cinematic projection on the roof of the cave. The short movie was meant to represent the ages of the earth and the colossal time elapsed in a mature cave formation. Very well done.
Elephant Trunk HillElephant Trunk Hill
Elephant Trunk Hill

Guilin's signature landmark. The landmark is about the Trunk (dipping into the water). When I asked where were the ears or eyes, I was told this was not Elephant Head Hill. I didn't see the point, really...
Guilin tea plantationGuilin tea plantation
Guilin tea plantation

Fascinating discussion about the various types and grades of tea (white, first through 4th grade green tea, oolong, black and compressed teas). Plus jasmine and other flavoured green teas. Then a walk-through demonstration of a traditional tea ceremony, including tasting various teas. The tea leaves are reused up to six times (depending on the tea) but the first steeping is always poured off and discarded. It was much cloudier than the subsequent pours and contains impurities. The small clay tea kettles were on sale up to a cost of 8,900¥. Remarkable!
Wall in Seven Star ParkWall in Seven Star Park
Wall in Seven Star Park

Artwork to commemorate the return of Hong Kong at lease end.
Kissing fishKissing fish
Kissing fish

Foot immersion in the tanks with little fish nibbling away dead skin. A pretty common tourist entertainment but one you need some encouragement to experience. A first for these four and their faces tell it all.
Gold and Silver PagodasGold and Silver Pagodas
Gold and Silver Pagodas

Modelled on the originals in Kyoto.


10th May 2014

nice shot

Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb