Visit to Stanley, Repulse Bay and the Peak


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
January 14th 2017
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.33, 114.18

Today, Saturday, January 14, was our first FULL day in Hong Kong. I woke up a little bit early and did some journaling. Then Glenn and I took the small elevator down to the 2nd floor for our breakfast. The food was delicious. Eggs, all the assortment of breads, yogurt, cereal, fresh fruit. We sat on a skinny table that over looked the window to the bay. There is a empty lot across from the hotel that allows all the rooms on the harbor side a clear view of Hong Kong Harbor.

Glenn and read the email that I had gotten from Cindi Wong (friend from NBC) and she had mention that we go to Stanley, Repulse Bay and then the Peak. Cindi wrote this: AM: Repulse Bay, Stanley (popular seaside village with restored 19th century

Murray House & Tin Hau Temple), Stanley Market for bargain clothing,

porcelain, & handicrafts. Eat lunch seaside on Main Street or in Murray House alfresco.

PM: As dusk falls, take in the panorama view from The Peak Tram on Victoria Peak

We asked about a bus that would take us over to Stanley. The bus station was just 1/2 block from the hotel. We are figuring this out
as we go.

The 10am bus left sharply at 10. Imagine a double decker red bus from London England. This is exactly the same but it was green. Bus 63 to the end of the line. Took about 1 hour. Glenn and I sat up on the upper deck. It was beginning to rain, so the photos I captured didn't turn out all that well.

In Stanley, are several things, old market with touristy stuff. I purchased my first souvenir spoon. We walked slowly through this old port/harbor town. We noticed beautiful flowers, fruit stands and generally people strolling through the street. We walked through the Tin Hau Temple. Ensense was burning. I noticed folks rubbing the Buddahs faces, and praying to the Buddah's god. We walked through the Murray House, old restored house, and out on to the pier, looking back to the bay.

It was here where I found a public potty. Clean. 4 stalls, and one was a scatty potty.

As we were walking through the market, we came across 5 or 6 American women just laughing and having a good time. I made a quick remark, then I said "We here going on a cruise." Their response immediately was "So
are we, the Norwegian Star!" They are from South Carolina, flew in on Delta and are staying at atAir B and B location. They were impressed that we had traveled on the city bus. This group was doing a tour. We told them that we would see them on the ship.

Next we figured out how to take another bus to head to the Peak. On our way on Bus line 6x, we decided to stop at Repulse Bay to grab something to eat. It was already 2pm. As we got off the bus, we walked 1/2 block down to the beach. Repulse Bay was named because the British Navy/forces "repulsed the pirates" in the area. The pirates had set up camp there. The bay was shallow, and the British used that knowledge to attack the pirates. Again the sky was overcast - it had stopped raining. We walked along the board walk to the end where there was another temple. I noticed folks taking their Hong Kong dollars, rubbing the Buddah's nose and face with the bill. I guess they were praying for wealth.

As we walked back, we stopped at a sea-side restaurant and had brunch. Glenn ordered pizza and I had french toast. The Classified. Trendy coffee shop. Good.

As we were walking up the steps to catch the bus, we talked with a gal that mentioned we should take the 6 bus line to the stop right after the "hospital", then cross the street and take the number 15 bus to the top of the peak. This is a tourist attaction where you can see the Hong Kong Harbor from a mountain top view. The PeakThe ride was gorgeous. Tight two lane road as we maneuvered the sharp turns. At the top, were 2 malls, and a unique building where you could take the elevator to the VERY top, pay 5.00$ to get an even better view. Because it was overcast, we decided not to pay the extra money for a view we couldn't get.

We ate dinner at the Bubba Gump Hong Kong. We shared a fish sandwich. By this time it was getting dark, so we decided not to take the TRAM down (long line), we took the city bus. Number 15, then switch over to the Number 10, to the end of the line. The end of the line was 1/2 block from our hotel. We stopped at a bakery and purchased a small piece of bread. It had coconut inside - a unique flavor.

The day was successful. We accomplished the city bus system. Enjoyed a stoll along the beach, visited the market in Stanley, saw several Buddah temples and made it back to our hotel room all in one piece.

Most people here in Hong Kong know a little of English. So far, everyone has been very helpful when we have asked directions or wanted some specific information. Only once - the bus driver for number 6X was kinda rude to us. We have taken photos of several families when we hand motioned "do you want us to take your picture with your camera?" hand sign.

Its Sunday morning here, and we have the hotel TV on, but they are not broadcasting the Saturday afternoon game. So, Glenn has ESPN opened up on my iphone and he is just "refreshing" occasionally to see if Atlanta or Seattle has scored. I hope this is not the case for tomorrow, when the Dallas Cowboys play.

Since it is Sunday here, we plan to go to a Bible Church about 1/2 mile from our hotel room that Cindi Wong suggested.
Then explore some more of the city.



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0889s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb