Silk Market


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
August 23rd 2006
Published: September 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post


Han met his current girlfriend on the internet and the pair of them went to the Silk Market one day to observe negotiations between the chinese sellers and the foreigners. This was bizarre because
a. she lives 4hrs away and they see each other about once/mth and
b. we had dragged him around the Silk Market the previous day from 3-8 til we were fit to drop.
The Silk Market has good bargains tho everything is fake. The haggling is incredible. They start the bidding at 10-20 times the actual price you will finally agree on. And each transaction starts like this, there's no avoiding the charade-it's part and parcel of the deal but it is exhausting. The chinese hardly wane at all. The fakes are phenomenal-would have adored a few Gucci and Louis Vuitton handbags but had to stay focused. We picked up some North Face gear which strangely they keep hidden away. When you ask for a NF bag it is produced from inside a large suitcase or turned around to show its logo. We asked them why this wasa and they replyed that it is illegal to sell NF stuff!!?! And the rest?? Maybe NF has taken a particular stance..I'm not sure...we werent helping matters tho. However I am not so sure now about our purchases as the bags are ripped in several places already and the sewing kit has been so not so sure they'll survive Nepal!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0982s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb