Shanghai, China - maiden call


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 9th 2014
Published: April 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

24thMarch Shanghai, China



Our first port of call in China is Shanghai (a maiden call), a fascinating city bursting with ancient tradition, culture and modern technology (that’s what the blurb says). The ship berthed a good hour from the city itself



Shanghai is a popular tourist destination renowned for its historical landmarks such as The Bund (an elegant section of river bank lined with Merchant houses), City God Temple and the Yu Garden, as well as major museums including the Shanghai Museum and the China Art Museum.



Shanghai is the largest Chinese city by population and the largest city proper by population in the world. It is a global financial centre, and a transport hub with the world’s busiest container port. Located in the Yangtze River Delta in East China, Shanghai sits at the mouth of the Yangtze River in the middle portion of the Chinese coast. For centuries a major administrative, shipping, and trading town, Shanghai grew in importance in the 19th century due to European recognition of its favourable port location and economic potential. The city was one of five opened to foreign trade following the British victory over China in the First Opium War while the subsequent 1842 Treaty of Nanking and 1844 Treaty of Whampoa allowed the establishment of the Shanghai International Settlement and the French Concession.



The tour today was a small sample of the city, some guests were leaving today to do 4 day trip to Beijing and the Great Wall rejoining the ship in Hong Kong.



We arrived at the Old Town to walk to the Yu Garden in the heart of the city. The Gardens date back to the fabled Ming Dynasty and were named Yu-Yuan meaning ‘peace & health’. I don’t know about it being peaceful with a dozen or so coaches arriving all at once to run the gauntlet of beggars and street hawkers before reaching the garden itself. The Old Town area is a popular meeting place and has a typical market atmosphere with all its street sellers and bazaar. We were taken to a silk factory outlet (more shopping) in the market before heading back to the coach.



The final stop was to the Jade Buddha Temple, the popular temple is graced with upturned eaves and symmetrical halls & courtyards. The Buddha (6.5 ft tall & 455 lbs) was made of white jade & precious stones (Song Dynasty). No photography, so you’ll have to take our word for it. Despite the crowds quite a peaceful place to be, apart from all the incense!!!



I hope we aren’t getting blasé about these cities, but they do all look the same with the CBD and high rise buildings with the odd bit of culture thrown in!!!



Next stop Xiamen, China


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb