Family Life in China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 6th 2013
Published: April 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

IMG_1305IMG_1305IMG_1305

This little girl was out with her dad on a Sunday morning.
Hello everyone,



The one-child policy in China started in 1978. It is estimated that 70 million more people would have been born without this policy. Generally, the one-child policy only applies to cities, not the rural people and areas with low population. There are other exceptions as well: if both husband and wife are only children, they can have two babies. Sometimes couples, who have only girls, will move to a small area and continue trying to produce a boy.



Our guide explained that there might be a one-child policy enforced through hefty fine, but the cost of living in a big city makes it difficult to afford more than one child. Ten years ago, a thousand square foot condo sold for $100,000 U.S. Today it will probably cost over one million dollars. It is illegal to abort a male baby, but a male baby is preferred for very practical reasons. Girls marry out and become part of her husband’s family so they will be left with nobody to look after them. Thirty-five years after the policy began, other issues have surfaced. For one thing, the official population in China is 1.3 billion, but
IMG_1264IMG_1264IMG_1264

Hotel was decorated through the lobby and the ballroom level. Ballroom was packed with people for dinner. These guests were arriving for the festivities. The guest of honour was celebrating his one month birthday.
we were told that it is more like 1.5 billion—that many female births are never recorded. There are 116 men for every 100 women in China. Many men find brides from Cambodia, Vietnam, etc. It is also competitive for a man to find a bride. We were told that before 1978, a man was expected to have a bicycle, a watch and a sewing machine. After 1980, he needed a colour TV, refrigerator and a washing machine. In the 1990’s, expected was an air conditioner, a small apartment and a cell phone. After 2000, the expectation was a big condo, a car and travel abroad. Today, an eligible man needs the five C’s: credit card, condo, car, cash and cute!



再见

Donna












PS The concept of respect for elders extends to families. The older child may call their younger siblings by silly nicknames, but the older child is referred to with respect: after all, they are older.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

IMG_1218IMG_1218
IMG_1218

Even in this remote village, kids like computers.
IMG_1266IMG_1266
IMG_1266

Big town square had huge group of people doing ballroom dancing--especially the waltz.
IMG_1269IMG_1269
IMG_1269

Two more even larger groups--Zumba.
IMG_1273IMG_1273
IMG_1273

This is a family event every Saturday night. This little guy is painting ceramics. There was a huge sandbox and other children's activities. It appeared to be free.
IMG_1308IMG_1308
IMG_1308

We visited a "Children's Palace." This is funded by the government to give children a more well-rounded education beyond academics. This seven-year-old is practicing calligraphy.
IMG_1307IMG_1307
IMG_1307

Plans to open these centres throughout the country to develop special talents. These are budding ballerinas. These also have singing, painting, musical instruments and table tennis for fun. For children 4-15 after school and weekends.


Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb