Rural Life in China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi
April 6th 2013
Published: April 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

IMG_0837IMG_0837IMG_0837

The village person we visited rented out her farm land and ran a grocery store instead. Her son made deliveries for companies with his truck.
Rural Living in China



Farming in China is a challenge. We visited Pagoda Tree Village where 205 families live. Each person who does farming is given 300 square metres—but only those from the village. For example, if a woman marries and moves into the village, she is not entitled to farm land.



Farmers can choose to give up farming and move into the city. They will be offered a new job. Each village elects officials similar to our mayor and council.



Farms usually produce first wheat and then corn. Some sell vegetables in front of their homes—there is little space wasted. If the farm doesn’t produce enough, sons often take off-season work elsewhere to make money for the family. The grandmothers look after their grandchildren when this happens. The farmers decide how to use their land. Some farmers deal with animals, but they pool their land allotement to raise pigs, chickens, cows, etc. These areas are father away from the village to avoid unpleasant smells from blowing into the village.



From the train window, I noticed farm houses with roofs that sloped only on one side. This
IMG_0833IMG_0833IMG_0833

Rural village. Notice the rough construction on the roof. That adds to their sq. footage when they move to the highrise.
is so that rain will run off the roof and on their garden. Some houses have flat roofs for drying produce. The central government has a five-year plan to move farmers from villages into high rises to free up more farm land. They will be given apartments based on the size of their current homes, plus about 50%!m(MISSING)ore. Some put additional structures on the roof of their homes to add to their space and that means they get a bigger apartment when the time comes.



Again, Seniors have a nice life in the village. Lots of dominoes and mah jong games and we even saw money changing hands!



再见



Donna

Advertisement



Tot: 0.349s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb