Du Fu Cottage


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
June 26th 2011
Published: July 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It has been hot and humid for days. Last night, I was woken up by violent thunder storm and heavy rain. As a result, this morning was cool and misty. We decided to go to see the famous Du Fu Cottage in south part of the city. Du Fu is a patriotic and beloved poet from 700 A.D. He is well respected and admired by Chinese for thousands years. The thatched cottage was originally built as his country retreat in Chengdu. Over the years, his admirers and the government restored and expanded the location to commemorate Du Fu as the greatest poet in history. Because we came to the cottage on a rainy day, the garden was especially misty and poetic. There were waterfalls, bridges, bamboos, lily ponds, and gazebos for visitors to rest and enjoy scenic views or just ponder for a moment. I really liked the original cottage. It resembles the simple country living I have seen in traditional water color painting. Du Fu Cottage is tranquil and restful. It is a great get-away place or temporary relief from the noise and fast-paced city life.
After Du Fu, we ventured onto Jin Li -a shopping district in old town. Jin Li ‘s narrow streets are filled with local special food, silk, arts and crafts stores in traditional Chinese architecture. This area is named Jin Li because Jin in Chinese means elaborated silk fabric. Historically, Jin or Shu Brocade has been valuable and demanded by the rich and royal families. It was also traded with foreign countries through the Silk Road. One of the fun things in Jin Li is that you can find many folk arts here like blown candy figures, flour made figures and shadow puppets. Of course, there are tons of local foods for you to sample. All and all, it is a fun touristy place to walk around and sample great food and local snacks. It’s not ideal for bargained souvenirs. Check out the videos!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb