Transportation Overload!!!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
December 5th 2010
Published: December 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: High Speed Train 1 45 secs
2: High Speed Train 2 33 secs
3: Maglev train ride in Shanghai 46 secs
A quick journal of our journey back to the USA.

We left our apartment at 7:30am Sunday morning (China time), took 2 cabs to the Hangzhou train station since the 1st cab driver wouldn't let us put suitcases in the back seat of his car. (3 suitcases, 1 large backpack and 2 small backpacks) Nathan and Pete rode in Cab #2 and Crystal and I rode in Cab #1. We both arrived at the train station about 20 seconds apart so it worked out ok. They took us to our waiting room inside the train station as I think they were both very sad to see us leave.

We were able to ride the new train from Hangzhou to Shanghai that travels at 350 KPH= 217.5MPH. The journey used to be 90 minutes and now is only 45 minutes at the cost of 82RMB=$12.35 USD. (old ticket price was 54RMB=$8.13 USD). Out of the 30 plus trains that travel between the two cities, there are only 5 or 6 that are the lower price/slower train.

Once we arrived at Shanghai Hongqiao Railway station we got on the subway line 2 for 17 stops (6RMB=.95 cents) it look us exactly 1 hour to make the journey to the Maglev line.

The maglev is a high speed train that only takes 7 minutes to travel from the city to Pudong Airport. We were SHOCKED by the 50RMB ticket price for the 7 minute journey. Then to find out if you show your plane ticket you get 20% off the ticket. Now really the guy selling us tickets didn't see our 6 things of luggage that we were hauling. The train ONLY goes to the airport so common sense would say we had a flight but common sense lacks in the Middle Country of China. There were very few passengers on the maglev and it wasn't the smoothest ride.

We then were at Pudong airport checking in at the United Airlines counter. We had to do some rearranging of our suitcases as 2 of the suitcases were over the weight limit but it was OK as our large backpack was half empty for this reason.

It felt so good to have only our small backpacks once we checked our luggage and were all set for our flight. We went through customs/immigration in China pretty smoothly and had some time to spare and a few RMB left to our names. We found a little restaurant that we split a sandwich, garlic bread and black forest chocolate cake. Our gate was right next to the plane and boarded quickly.

It is always strange boarding a plane knowing you will be on it for over 11 hours until you get off next.

We had gotten some Chinese "sleeping pills" from one of our students, but they didn't work very well as I got one hour of sleep and Pete didn't really sleep at all from Shanghai to San Fran. Pete also got food poisening after the 1st of 3 meals on the flight. Let's just say he was thankful we had an aisle seat and used it quite often. Not sure if it was the United food or the food at the airport restaurant as I never got sick and we ate the same things.

The pilot advised us that our flight would be 40 minutes longer than usual as the tailwinds weren't as strong. UGH!!! Not what you want to hear on such a long flight and have a connecting flight to make.

Pete hates United Airlines as their is no On Demand movies on their flights. They just have the tv monitors for the whole flight, deciding which movie and what times it plays. We watched Eat Pray Love (thumbs up), Charlie St. Cloud (slept for 60 of the 90 minutes of the movie), Flipped (ok) and Ramona & Beezus (very cute).

We landed in San Fran about 25 minutes after our scheduled time and made it through customs/immigration, least amount of questions I have ever been asked entering the US. Then headed to security to check to our domestic flight. WOW!!! I am not a fan of the body scans for the simple fact that it slows the process WAY down at SFO. Two lines go to one body scanner so it takes twice as long for the people to get through security. Pete had to go through the body scanner but I was sent through the old school metal detector without any pat downs. Whatever works....

Our final leg of the journey was smooth sailing until our landing in Portland as it was a little rough landing and Pete still wasn't feeling to hot. When we got to the baggage claim area we saw Laura walking in the door, perfect timing. Our luggage was some of the first luggage on the belt and away we went. (one suitcase broken between San Fran and Portland, oh well it was time for it to go anyways)

Our final model of transportation was a car ride home with Georgianna, Pete's Mom and Laura, Pete's Sister. It sure is good to be back with family and in the US. We are adjusting back to the time here as our total travel time was 21 hours with a 16 hour time difference. Our bodies are having a hard time adjusting as we landed in Portland one hour before takeoff in China.

7 Different Modes of Transportation
Cab to Train Station
High Speed Train to Shanghai
Subway across Shanghai
Maglev train to Pudong Airport
Flight to San Fran
Flight to Portland
Car ride home
getting tired again just thinking about it.....

If you would like our address or phone numbers please send us an email.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

New CRH TrainNew CRH Train
New CRH Train

Hangzhou to Shanghai 45 min journey
Max speed with passengers 350 KPH=217.5 MPHMax speed with passengers 350 KPH=217.5 MPH
Max speed with passengers 350 KPH=217.5 MPH

while testing it reached over 400 KPH=248 MPH


8th December 2010

Welcome home!! Sounds like a crazy day!
8th December 2010

planes, trains and automobiles
Enjoyed reading your descriptions! Glad you are home again! Crsytal and Nathan were so very nice to help!

Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 19; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb