Garden City of Suzhou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
November 17th 2010
Published: December 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Humble Administrators GardenHumble Administrators GardenHumble Administrators Garden

One of my favourite photos!
Today we cruised on the Grand Canal of Suzhou - it is a 1000 years old and like Venice all the houses and buildings back right onto the water. Very relaxing to just motor around and look at the old streets and houses - got to see people doing their washing even. After our cruise we went to the Humble Administrator's Garden - not so humble being 5 acres though and an amazing garden with lots of water, buildings and "garden rooms". We really enjoyed just wandering around. After the garden we went to a silk mill and saw how the spin the silk and how they stretch it to make layers of silk in a doona. We treated ourselves to one because they are the perfect airconditioner - warm in winter and cool in summer. Had it vacuum sealed so it fitted into the bottom of the suitcase. After lunch it was a visit to another garden - the Master of Nets - much smaller than the first one, but just as beautiful, a room filled with Ming Dynasty furniture (looked very uncomfortable btw).

We drove to Shanghai in the afternoon and settled into our hotel and had an
Silk FactorySilk FactorySilk Factory

Making a silk doona!
early dinner then it was on to the night river cruise - very spectacular and well worth doing but boy was it cold! Another great day.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Night River CruiseNight River Cruise
Night River Cruise

Spectacular!


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb