Snake Jumping- Passport Palavar and Hilton Prison


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
February 6th 2009
Published: February 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Before leaving Sapa we had one more hike which was nice but only really one thing worht mentioning.

Me and Joe were bombing it ahead of the guide as we wanted to turn into kids again and run everywhere- Dont ask. We soon realised why you do not peg it ahead of the guide- Snakes, Big Black ones.

Joe was just about to jump 2 foot down onto a patch of bushes when the guide shouted really loudly to stop and grabbed Joe. He then pointed down to a 5 foot black snake easily as big as my arm. We let him lead from then on.

On the overnight train from Sapa to Hanoi we had a few drinks and got our cabin invaded by women trying to sell things, Phil in his drunken stupor thought to put his passport and all important stuff under his pillow to keep it safe. Waking up in the morning feeling tender we all got off the train pretty sharpish, Phil however left all his important things in his safe hiding space (he spent the next 5 days getting an emergency passport).

That day went to Hanoi Hilton where all the American POW's were kept in the vietnam/american war.

Was really interesting at it had been used for a hundered years previously as well.

It felt slightly fake though as there was alot of picutres of american POW's smiling and putting thumbs up- all happy clappy, so we took everything we read+saw with a pinch of the communist salt.

It was Kirstens birhtday that night as well so we got some good drinking in with jusg of vodka - 11 shots for 3 pound. Got some Ten pence beers and sang the night away. As a plus i also got to see some live football- its pathetic but i have missed 90 minutes of nothing happening 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb