Spicy like Chengdu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
May 25th 2007
Published: May 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The title refers to our wacked out tour guide in this new city who couldn't seem to stop talking ha ha. he also quoted something oscar wilde wrote and called him a "great philosopher" hahahaha.

This morning we went to the Shaolin temple; an older temple and boarding school for kong fu. The grounds were beautiful, and we went to the pagoda forest which had countless pagodas that contained the ashes of monks who had passed away. This was somber, and beautiful, so I'll lighten the mood.. on the bus the night before, a special member of the group raised her hand to ask what a pagoda is. Mind you, she's probably taken at least a million pictures of them and never thought to ask or recognize everyone else's references. Funny, but sad.

After the pagoda forest we went to a kong fu show, it was amazing. There was a tiny little kid ( i guess they start at 3 or 4 years old) doing pushups with two fingers, on one hand, and all these other crazy things. They demonstrated lots of fighting stuff, gymnastic things, and broke metal over their heads. Wow. Hard to explain, but amazing to watch.

The plane ride here wasn't as bad as I thought, and we're here for two more nights then TIBET! Wow. I'm intrigued. Apparently we're having western food tomorrow, I'm stoked!!

PS- Kate, 1 yuan is about 13 cents... 😞 Another tiny lady with a deformed back almost started crying when we gave her like 15 empty bottles today.... it's rough.

love, me

Advertisement



25th May 2007

Sounds like fun...can you teach the girls kung fo?? Hope you have internet in Tibet and enjoy your 'western food' tonight....hopefully it is not hamburgers! =] This is Mom - I'm at Kate's for the weekend. The girls are sooo cute, can't wait for you to see them at the reunion. Love you much and can't wait to see you.
26th May 2007

Food
Watch out getting drunk on the fermentedyak milk.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb