In Jiouzhaigou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
July 15th 2005
Published: July 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Bus AccidentBus AccidentBus Accident

During our 10 hour bus ride from Chengdu to Jiouzhaigou, we were delayed 1.5 hours due to this bus accident. The roads are tight and the driver's are very aggressive..it is amazing there are not more accidents. Luckily, no one was hurt. Anon and I did help clean up the road so traffic could continue.
A 12 hour bus ride (including a 1.5 hour stop due to a bus accident) from Chengdu landed the five of us in Jiouzhaigou, home to a nature reserve which boasts beautiful hiking, pandas, monkeys and a few Tibetan villages. We bedded down at a new hostel (thanks to Sim of Sim's Cozy Guesthouse). That night, Yael realized her passport was missing (along with her whole money belt) so she split the next morning back to Chengdu.

The four remaing travelers took off for the nature reserve which was outstanding with great views, crystal clear rivers and lakes and lush greenery. We did run into some large crowds of Chinese tourists at some popular spots but the two days of walking around the reserve were refreshing. We even spent a night at one of the Tibetan villages in the reserve (which is not exactly allowed). Unfortunately, we did not see any pandas or monkeys.

Now it's off to Songpan for some horse trekking.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Larry


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Tibetan KidsTibetan Kids
Tibetan Kids

With my new blonde hair, I am a favorite among the Tibetan people
Posing for the new GuesthousePosing for the new Guesthouse
Posing for the new Guesthouse

Our group down to 4 people as Yael lost her passport/money and jetted back to Chengdu, we pose with the proud manager of the new guesthouse in Juiouzhaigou.
Hiking in JiouzhaigouHiking in Jiouzhaigou
Hiking in Jiouzhaigou

Crystal clear water and lush forestry make Jiouzhaigou Nature Reserve a popular place with Chinese tourists. Luckily, we found some time to hike undisturbed by the masses.
Village inside the ReserveVillage inside the Reserve
Village inside the Reserve

Beyond the numerous small waterfalls is the Tibetan village we stayed in for the night (even though it is not technical legal to do so).
Men in TightsMen in Tights
Men in Tights

Given the cold temperatures, I wore my thermals under my clothes....and of course my friends made fun of me for it.
Hot PeppersHot Peppers
Hot Peppers

As we ate our dinner, this group were preparring the red peppers for the next day's meals.


Tot: 0.513s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 28; qc: 156; dbt: 0.287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb