China - Land Of Expensive Tea


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
December 16th 2006
Published: January 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ChinaChinaChina

Locals playing an impossible game and making it look easy.
The flight was delayed slightly which meant we didn't arrive into Beijing until late and it was absolutely freezing!! We ended up staying in the airport Hotel for a night and then headed to Tiananmen Square in the morning. We managed to get a cheap hotel then spent our first day wondering about to get a feel for the place.

Whilst in Beijing we managed to see a few of the sights. We went to the Tiantan Park and visited the Prayer for Good Harvest Hall and the Temple of Heaven. The Park was absolutely massive and filled with the locals practising their Tai Chi. Danny also managed to involve himself in one of their many games in the Park, he wasn't actually that bad and most of the locals found him amusing.

The following day we went to the Great Wall at Simatai which was quite amazing. We walked along the wall for 4 hours and met a couple from Manchester who had been to the exact same places as us. We really enjoyed the day and got back to Beijing exhausted from our day.

Our last day in Beijing we headed to Tiananmen Square and the
ChinaChinaChina

Me about to kick the s*&t out of Mr Miagi
Forbidden City. On the way we were stopped by 2 locals who persuaded us to try some of the traditional Chinese tea and learn abit about their culture. We thought this sounded like a good idea, however 30mins later when the bill arrived we realised this wasn't such a good idea, over 20 quid each! Need we say more!! After licking our wounds we headed back to see the Forbidden City as planned. This was cool as was Tiannanmen Square, both places had alot of history behind them which was nice to learn about.

After spending 3 days in Beijing we caught an overnight train to Xian where we visited the Terrracotta Warriors. We met a nice couple in the hostel we were staying in and then bumped into them as we were heading to the ticket office at Terracotta Warriors. They gave us their ticket and we managed to get in for free, we'll knock that off the price of the tea then shall we!!?
The couple were laughing at the scam we fell for however this was short lived when they told us they paid 200pound for a carpet in Delhi. They didnt even have a house
ChinaChinaChina

Marlow at the Temple Of Prayer For Good Harvest
so this made us feel a hell of alot better.
We only stayed 1 night in Xian as there's not much to do apart form go to the Terracotta Warriors.

We took another overnight train to Shaghai (17hours) where again there isn't much to do other than get a feel for the place and check out the old markets. Danny was strook by Delhi Belly again and didn't move from his bed for another 3days. Marlow ventured out himself and pretty much chilled out which was nice.
We found out there wasn't a Vietnamese Embassy in Shanghai so we had to make our way to Nanning (southern China) to sort our Visas out.

We spent 34 hours on another train to get there. Nanning was alot warmer than the other places which was a relief. The first day we found the embassy but had to wait 3days before they were done.
All there was to do in Nanning was shop and with the little money we have it still went a long way. Danny managed to buy 3 pairs of trainers in as many days, a new top and some socks, all in all not bad considering he
ChinaChinaChina

Me at the same Temple!
only spent 35 pounds. Marlow bought 2 caps and nearly ended up spending a whole lot more.

Heading to Hanoi next and we hope South East Asia is as good as we think it will be...


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

ChinaChina
China

It may not look it but it was very very cold.
ChinaChina
China

A cool photo showing all the temples in the background.
ChinaChina
China

A freezing day in Beijing
ChinaChina
China

You can see the great wall going out way into the hills.
ChinaChina
China

Us on the Great Wall
ChinaChina
China

I don't recognise what this is!
ChinaChina
China

Marlow at Tiananmen Square
ChinaChina
China

Me at Tiananmen Square, If you look closely you may spot a tear, i've just payed 20 quid for a cup of tea
ChinaChina
China

Some Chinese soldiers going through the routine in Beijing.
ChinaChina
China

James and I in The Forbidden City
ChinaChina
China

Chinese Flag At Tiananmen Square
ChinaChina
China

Me infront of The Peoples Monument
ChinaChina
China

Terracotta Warriors
ChinaChina
China

Terracotta Warriors, it's blurred because they moved!
ChinaChina
China

Terracotta Warriors


4th January 2007

Happy New Year. It sounds like you are both having a fantastic time and the pictures are really good. I laughed my socks off at having to pay the £20 - Danny I bet you cried for days at that cos I know how tight you are but Im sure you will think of a cunning plan to get it back somehow. Its been great to see your journey and please continue to send me the updates. Take care Lots of Love Goologong

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb