Hong Kong - Arrived In Style!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
December 2nd 2006
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The BoysThe BoysThe Boys

In Murphys Irish Pub first night in Hong Kong

Good First Impressions



First of all things in our last few days in India run pretty much to plan, we just chilled and tried to pass a little time by visiting a few places in Delhi but mainly slept!

Our trip to the airport was another early one but we didnt get much sleep the night before as we were both so happy to be heading to Hong Kong. We figured we could just catch up on Zs on the plane anyway.

In the airport we met a really cool guy, he was sat just behind us and we got talking when he asked us the time. It turns out his name was Jeff and he was working at the time (He's a pilot for Fed-Ex), he was from the U.S and lived in Minnesota. We got talking loads in Delhi and the time soon past by until it was time to board. The flight was pretty cool, 5 hours long but didn't seem long, the food was good and the films kept us busy.

Hong Kong Watch Out!



Landed and man it was hot!!! we so wished we had changed into
Lazer Show Over Victoria HarbourLazer Show Over Victoria HarbourLazer Show Over Victoria Harbour

A view from our Hotel rooftop....Oh no, sorry, a view from Jeff's Hotel. We just use it!
shorts that morning, it felt like 100 degrees. The airport was wicked, the whole place was immaculate and so high-tech, really easy to understand and if its a sign of things to come we are definitely going to enjoy this place.

We didn't have to wait long for our luggage and whilst waiting we met up with Jeff again. Earlier, in Delhi, we had already arranged to meet later that evening at a local Irish bar near our hotels. Whilst chatting with him he offered us a lift as Fed-Ex provided him with a car to his hotel, normally it doesn't go down well with the driver because we weren't staying at his hotel....so we decided to pretend we were!!! Thing is, we had to pretend we were staying at the 5* Sheraton hotel with all our scruffy clothes and backpacks! The car was mint, it was a stretch Merc all done up in style with a little fridge of water for us all to sample! How cool is this! The bus and taxi to our hotel would have been a right mission to catch and not to mention the cost.... The best things in Life are free. Once we got there we were all thinking it could be a little embarassing when they realise we got a free ride, so we continued to pretend and walked into the plush hotel through the back entrance in the underground carpark, through the reception and straight out the front door!!! Cheers Jeff!

Our luxury proved a little short lived when we walked 2 blocks down and set eyes on our bedroom in ChungKing Mansions, which was the size of a match box. Not normally a problem for such seasoned travellers like the two of us! Except it was a room for four people! Nightmare.

The two guys we were sharing our room with turned out to be pretty cool, their names were Adam & Matt and they were welsh, we got on well and invited them down to meet Jeff that evening.

First Night Goes Off With A Bang!



Bearing in mind, we've done nothing but walk and walk this trip so far, our alcohol tolerance levels have dropped dramatically along with our weight! (probably). It didn't take us long to get drunk. To be fair to us, we did drink quite a lot. Not only were the jugs of beer going down well, we also met an American Navy guy who obviously didn't get out very much, when he did get out or was let out, he made the most of it! The guy was wrecked and decided to buy a bottle of Jägermeister and force us all to drink! The five of us (Not him, he was a voyeur we guess) had shot after shot. The night went well and we even managed to catch the Manchester - Chelsea game live at Midnight. A cool first night and our first night out of the trip, a special thanks goes to Jeff for treating us well with plenty of beer and good company.

Good Old India Left A Great Reminder!



We all woke pretty late and it was obvious to both of us that something wasn't quite right in the bowels. First of all James managed to occupy the toilets around Hong Kong for a good hour making 5 star appearances! Danny wasn't laughing yet, it didn't take him long to catch up! The Welsh lads definitely weren't laughing, they had to share a box room with us for the
Victoria HarbourVictoria HarbourVictoria Harbour

A view from the Avenue Of Stars taken with the timer.
next 4 nights!! At least we were in Hong Kong now and didn't have to squat over a dirty hole in the ground!

Later that evening, after a lot of rest and NO food, we both ventured upto the Sheraton to chill with Jeff. He told us about an amazing lazer show over Victoria Harbour from the rooftops of all the skyscrapers. What better way to end the evening than watching this....Oh, hang on, why not watch it in the Hotels rooftop hot-tub!! Justice!

We didn't stay too long as we were both gradually feeling worse. Danny just went to bed and James went to chill with the lads at Murphy's drinking sprite and came back early. Adam came back shortly after James and was absolutely wrecked, he managed to find his way onto the top bunk of his bed somehow, however, after about 5 minutes of sleep managed to find his way out again! Crashing straight out and pulling the bunk over with him! Then spent the next 2 hours puking up in the toilet right by our heads. Didn't really go down too well as it woke us up and kept us up with the sound
Victoria HarbourVictoria HarbourVictoria Harbour

Another quality view.
and smell! We felt so bad it was untrue.

Delhi Just Won't Let Go



Won't bore you with the obvious details but lets say things didn't look good. Actually as the day went on James started to feel much better, Danny however didn't and spent all day staring at the ceiling in the bedroom and the floor in the bathroom.

Later on we decided to go see Jeff, we wanted to say bye as he was leaving for his flight at 6pm. It took Danny a lot of effort to rise from the dead, but it definitely proved to be worth it for him. James and Jeff decided to go and grab a bite to eat and whilst they were out Jeff said it was ok for Danny to use the massive cosy bed in the Hotel and try to catch up on some lost sleep. It felt like heaven to him and was much better than the pokey room and, by now, disgusting toilet in our hotel.

Whilst James and Jeff were out Jeff bought Danny a little present! Two nice pairs of boxer shorts! I'm sure you don't need to ask!!

On there return Jeff went to reception and told them his brother was ill in bed and could he use the room until 10pm so he could sleep, they said it was no problem. We said our goodbyes to Jeff and took full advantage of the 5* facilities, watching t.v, sleeping in the two big beds and using the wicked shower to get a much needed wash.

We want to take this opportunity to say a massive thanks to Jeff, he is definitely one of the nicest guys we have both met and made our stay in Hong Kong one to remember. We've met a great new friend and hopefully we will be seeing Jeff soon in either Shanghai or we will definitely vistit him at home in Minnesota. We're looking forward to the fishing, bbq and beer Jeff! Thanks and we'll see you soon.

That night Danny went to bed again, James was feeling much better and went out with Adam for a night on Hong Kong island. They went round plenty of bars and then to a club where they met the manager. The manager was a really nice guy who they were having a good laugh with. After a while the manager opened a bottle of Dom Perignon and to their amazement offered them a glass (it just keeps getting better and better). They had a great night in Hong Kong and it just doesn't dissappoint.

Early Alarm Call



We (or should I say Danny) was woken bright and early by the local police bashing on the door and screaming for our passports at 5.30am! It was a little worrying but it turns out that it's a normal occurance in ChungKing Mansions (a great choice of Hotel!). Everyone showed the copper their passports apart from James who was still really drunk, I don't think a freight train would have woken him! It was pretty funny actually as Danny past the police man James' and his own passport and the police man stared at James really closely holding the passport next to his head to see if it was him, he didn't even stir!!

Turns out that when your really dehydrated from Delhi Belly, Drink just doesn't seem to be very good for you! James was back to his old ways on the toilet and Danny might even of felt worse
Hong Kong Island's PeakHong Kong Island's PeakHong Kong Island's Peak

A great view of the island and Kowloon in the distance.
so decided it was time for a doctors visit before the flight to Beijing. He came back with bags of drugs and started to take them straight away.

Neither of us did anything apart from change to a double room (to get away from the smell) and say good-bye to the welsh lads who headed to New Zealand. We may see them later in our travels.

At Last Some Sight-Seeing



James felt better and Danny didn't but the drugs held him together enough for us both to see some of Hong Kong for the first time.

We decided we would go over to Lantau Island and visit the world's biggest Buddha! It was pretty cool but i think anything would have been cool for Danny after staring at the walls for 4 days! We got the metro to the Island and then a bus upto the Buddha. Spent a little time there just chilling out and then got a cable car back down and the metro back to our Hotel. In the evening we walked along the avenue of stars and from there saw great views of the Harbour at night.

Early night
Victoria Harbour & DannyVictoria Harbour & DannyVictoria Harbour & Danny

Before you ask...I took the picture on a bin and that's what the shiney thing is!
for a quick half days exploring tomorrow before our flight to Beijing.

The next day we headed upto the Hong Kong Island Peak where again you get some really great views (Although everywhere seems to have them!). We needed to get a tram to the top and it went up at a ridiculous angle, really didn't do much for our delicate bellys but we survived. Up there we took lots of photos and Danny bought postcards. We also managed to stomach a great Maccy D's before leaving! Get in there!

It was a real shame we didn't have longer in Hong Kong as we both thought it was such a great place, the six days we did have would have been enough time but as you know 4 of them were spent in bed. Maybe we'll come back on our way past but i know it is definitely a place to visit in the future.

Hope you enjoy all the pictures and watch this space....





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

James On The Toilet...James On The Toilet...
James On The Toilet...

...Oh sorry it's the cable car!
MarlowMarlow
Marlow

now now Marlow, lets not be greedy, you going to be sharing with the rest of us I hope!?
Biggest Buddha In The World!Biggest Buddha In The World!
Biggest Buddha In The World!

By the way...the Buddha is the one at the back!
Biggest Buddha In The World!Biggest Buddha In The World!
Biggest Buddha In The World!

Actually it's not so big...
Biggest Buddha In The World!Biggest Buddha In The World!
Biggest Buddha In The World!

...Quite tasty though!


2nd December 2006

Look out...
Not sure if you guys should be licking Buddhas. You don't know where its been. Good to see you two are having such a great time. Im glad some one is still traveling. I even see that in your later photos, you two are starting to dress alike.
3rd December 2006

Alriht lads! sounds like ur still having fun! I will keep it short cos i've got a massive hangover! But all looks awesome, speaks to u soon. Take care lads! xx
4th December 2006

CHINA
SO BOYS UR GONA SEE THE GREAT WALL. WELL ILL TELL YA IT WILL BLOW UR HEAD OFF. LOOK OUT FOR THE GUY WHO SLEEPS ON THE WALL. HES A BEGGER AND STINKS AND EVERYONE LAFS AT HIM BUT I NO U WONT DO THAT. ENJOY. GO SEE CHAIRMAN MAO. GOOD LOOKIN CORPSE xxx
4th December 2006

enjoy
Nice to see you both enjoying yourselves. It all looks FAB. better than sitting in this bloody office!!! looking forward to seeing more from you both. Keep yourselves safe...luv Mo

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb