Ningbo, China Journey


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Zhejiang
September 24th 2017
Published: September 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

August 23-24th

As an art student China has fascinated me, especially through its many forms of sculpture. So I visited the ancient port city of Ningbo.

Tianyi Pavilion is a diamond in the rough for most international travellers. China’s oldest private library full of brilliant relics preserved for over 2,000 years. The sculptures did not disappoint either. Dignified Dragons, mysterious cat-like figures, and the stone landscaping are truly inspiring.



The next stop: Southern Song Dynasty Stone Carvings

Here was what really brought me to Ningbo. The stone carvings are the largest archaeological relic collection in the Southern Song dynasty, arguably the most artistic of all the Chinese dynasties. The details of each stone have been preserved for centuries and have all kinds of forms. The serious expressions cover most the figures, except for a decapitated general, who tragically stands triumphant and headless.



The third stop: Ningbo Hemudu Ruins

Hemudu, the Neolithic era of China, has found increasing archaeological finds dating back almost 10,000 years ago and considered the birthplace of Chinese. The Hemudu Museum is located at Siming Mountain and a fascinating window into prehistoric relics that demonstrate the earliest culture of the region.



The streets of Ningbo are decorated with large and small stones, preserved for generations.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb