Shangri La Songzalin monastery


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan
September 16th 2012
Published: September 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Songzalin monastery has a beautiful location surrounded by hills and with a lake and wetlands area in front. Next to the monastery is a farming village with traditional houses. The monastery dates back to 1697. It now seems to be thriving and building work was going on (it was difficult to keep the crane out of the photos!). The lake was peaceful with a circular boardwalk path and the kora path around the outside of the monastery was empty. I wandered off the kora path to explore the area behind the monastery and walked round and through the village, admiring the doors of the houses. I saw villagers carrying the hay which is neatly stacked on a wooden platform to keep it off the ground. The temples inside the monastery are well looked after. I especially enjoyed the butter lamps with flower carvings. There was enough wind for the golden bells on top of the temples to be jangling. A feast for all the senses, with smell catered for by the incense. After visiting the monastery I climbed up to a couple of the prayer flags to appreciate the view from above. Unfortunately it was drizzling in the evening so the dancing in Shangri La main square was a little subdued, but it was still happening.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb